Chapter Eight: Dreams

My heart raced spastically. "You-you're one of us?" I spluttered. Dillon and Shawn looked absolutely horrified, while Jacob looked curious.

"You've given back the entire town's memories? How long did it take? How did it blow over?" he questioned.

The old woman leaned back a bit, relaxing now that she knew what we were here for. "My name is Maggie. We established this town ten years ago, and "Annie has been with us for two," she began. "Annie came into the town a wreck, but we accepted her with open arms. We aren't a very judge mental community," she added. We nodded.

So they don't burn people at the cross as "cleansing sacrifices," I thought.

"To prove her claims that we were all dead, we had her return my memory. After that, she gave it to everyone and anyone who came through here. We have been slowly building up our town, and only a few days ago did we learn of this misleading. My advisors and I have since begun planning a revolt, and trying to develope strategies for an army."

My heart soared and I felt like we actually had a chance. Here was a whole town, ready to go into battle, and they didn't even need convincing!

"Tha-that's amazing!" I exclaimed. I was leaning forward in my seat in utter excitement.

Jacob placed a hand on my shoulder and drew me back. "How strong is your army?" he asked politely.

"Do you even have one at the ready, or are you just tossing around ideas?" Dillon added.

I was grateful, once again, that we had these two. They were strategists at heart, and therefore helped a ton.

"We have weapons and about seventy five men. It's a small town, so our population is only about a hundred and fifty or so, and most of them are women, elderly, and children," she explained cordially.

I slowly lost attention as Jacob and Dillon pushed her for information and began formulating a plan.

We had found one of them, but there were six more to find. We had a small army-a militia, really-but we could gather more people on the way.

This seemed almost impossible.

"Eve? When will we need them at the palace?" Shawn asked, waving a hand in my face and catching my attention.

"Huh?" I asked, like the true genius I am.

"When do you think we'll need Maggie's men at the palace?" she repeated.

"June twenty-first," I blurted automatically, then I realized I didn't know why. June twenty-first? Why that day, I don't-

The familiar tug in my body returned and I realized that was why. I should probably start contemplating that instinct, but then again, it's usually been right. Why not just go with it?

"We can be ready and meet you at the palace by then. But we'll need you to send some sort of messenger, someone to take us to the right place, so that we..." I zoned out again as Maggie continued talking and looked at the girl, Annie.

Her eyes-one crystal blue, one crystal green-stared into mine unflinchingly. Neither of us said a word. I felt small and insignificant compared to her looks. She was elegant, fresh, and beautiful with her hair and her eyes; I just had brown hair and plain brown eyes.

At least, I was pretty sure I did. I still didn't know if I'd changed after I died, since I hadn't exactly had a chance to stand in front of a mirror and admire myself.

I looked away from her and back at Maggie. I was starting to lose hearing and my eyes were slowly drooping.

What time is it? I wondered. My head tipped to the side and rested on Jacob's shoulder as I dozed off.