Fugitive - Chapter 10

"So where are we going?" Aubrey asked loudly, leaning between the seats so that she could stare at Merlin.

The car still carried the lingering scent of stale beer and even having the windows cracked was doing anything to cause the smell to dissipate. They had been travelling for what felt like hours along country lanes and back roads. It felt as if they were running not only from the Atlantians but from any signs of human existence. The red head had lost track of their location very quickly. Their navigator however appeared reluctant to share any information at all.

"You'll see soon enough, we are almost there." Merlin replied. His eyes were trained firmly out of the front windscreen. "Take a left here."

With only a few metres until the turning, Andrew's fingered tightened around the steering wheel. He applied his foot hastily to the breaks before wrenching the wheel to the side. The car tires screeched loudly as they were all thrown around in their seats as the car cornered sharply.

"Can you give a little bit more notice next time?" He growled, his head turning to glare at the blonde haired man sitting in the passenger seat before focusing on the road once more.

"I will only tell you as much as you need to know. Turn right." Merlin replied blandly, his fingers scratching at his jaw absently. "The landscape has altered. I have to rely on my senses to direct us."

"Great, so we're relying on your inner compass to guide us. That's just brilliant." Andrew snorted, shaking his head as he did so.

Aubrey kicked the back of Andrew's seat and, when he met her gaze in the rear view mirror, she shook her head. No matter her suspicions, she needed Merlin. It wouldn't do well to antagonise him. Her fingernails dug into her legs as she turned her head to watch the scenery flying past, one boring hedgerow at a time. It would be so easy for him to refuse to help. The thought made her feel nauseous.

Poor Andrew, who was the only one with the capabilities to drive, had to deal with Merlin's blind navigation, only calling out instructions at the last possible moment. Any attempt at cordiality vanished with each barked instruction Merlin gave.

"STOP! Stop here." Merlin shouted, slapping his hand down on the dashboard so hard it cracked under the force of it.

Sparks shot out from his hand, disappearing into the car even as Andrew performed an emergency stop. The power to the car died abruptly with a sad clunk. Aubrey braced her hand on the seat in front of her and the other on the roof of the car. Her body was thrown forwards but the seatbelt locked in place painfully tight over her chest.

The car finally skidded to a halt. Andrew, panting heavily, leant forwards and pressed his forehead to the steering wheel. He sucked in several sharp breaths before uttering, "I hate you."

Merlin, completely unaffected, unplugged his seatbelt and climbed from the lifeless vehicle. His gaze roamed over the landscape, his hands held out in front of him as he pivoted on the spot. He turned around three times before he stopped, nodding his head as he did so. Without waiting for the others to follow, her climbed up the grassy embankment which bordered the road, climbed over the weather worn wooden fence and then started across the grassy field.

Aubrey strained against her seatbelt but it was locked firmly in place. With a growl she released the belt from the socket and took a deep breath, her hand rubbing at her chest as she did so. "That man is so frustrating."

"That's an understatement." Andrew growled and hit the dashboard. "He's broken my damned car. It won't start. How am I supposed to explain this? Well, some legendary magician zapped my car and now it won't work."