Fugitive - Chapter 7

Tiberius sat in the darkness. With his Atlantian gifts, Tiberius was able to make out all of features of his little cell. He almost wished he couldn't. Being able to see the walls did nothing to take away from the monotony of the darkness and the pain radiating throughout his body.

Letting loose a ragged breath, Tiberius clenched his hands into fists. It felt like he was just one giant seeping wound. His skin had endured lash after lash from the whips until his back had been nothing more than a crisscross of bloody wounds. And then they began cutting.

Drawing in a deep breath, Tiberius dragged himself across the floor, his limp legs trailing through the blood and urine which soaked the floor. He hated that he did not have full control of his body. He probably would have been disgusted with the state he had allowed himself to be forced into but he didn't have the time.

Someone was watching him.

He could feel the stare boring into him even through the darkness though he could make out no form and he could sense that he was the only corporeal person in the tiny cell. As he strained his ears, there were no sounds other than his own laboured breathing. Yet instinct told him that there was something else here.

"Who is there?" he asked, his hand moving to cradle his cracked ribs. He could feel his body attempting to heal itself but there were so many wounds. There were too many things broken or damaged.

When no one answered his, Tiberius lifted his head and stared into the dark, squinting as it to see the spectre which continued to haunt him. "I know you're there."

A female gasp echoed around him. He showed no reaction but inside he felt victory. He was right. He wasn't going delirious from his injuries – at least he didn't think so.

"Don't hide from me." He ordered, his voice gaining strength even as he started to feel light headed. "Show yourself."

There was another shocked gasp. "Tiberius. Can you hear me? I'm coming for you." The voice babbled into the darkness. "Just hold on for me. Please just hold on. I need you."

Closing his eyes, the weakened man felt as if he had finally snapped. "You can't be here. You got out. You're safe." He fell quiet for a few seconds before sucking in a sharp breath, his body jolting upright as he eyes looked into the darkness. "No. Please tell me you haven't been captured."

There was no reply. Tiberius felt emotions, ones he had buried centuries before, threating to overwhelm him.

"Answer me, Aubrey." He shouted into the darkness. Every part of his being strained, waiting for the reply but almost afraid of what it would mean. He hated it. He was never afraid anymore. Not for himself.

Finally, so softly he almost missed it, he hear her voice reassuring him in a soothing balm. "I am fine. I am safe." She murmured. "I am coming for you Tiberius."

A moment later it felt like a cold breeze had swept through the small cramped space taking any warmth with it. And then she was gone. The darkness, which had been pushed away by her invisible presence, closed in on all sides. But it didn't matter.

Tiberius smiled into the darkness. She was safe.

*** ***

"Aubrey. Wake up!"

Gasping, the red head shot upwards only to slump backwards, her hand coming up to hold her sore head. Blinking, she couldn't stop the tears which formed in her eyes. It was difficult to figure out if they were from pain or relief.

"Are you okay?"

Blinking through the pain, Aubrey glanced up at Andrew only to see red. At the sight of blood pouring from his nose, the woman ignored her own throbbing head and leapt up from the bed. Closing the distance between them, she mercilessly clamped her fingers down onto his nose in an attempt to stem the flow of blood.

Fugitive (sequel to Becoming Atlantian)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें