Fugitive - Chapter 21

The journey back to the world she had been born in – the mundane realm - was anti-climactic. A part of her had expected there to be a threat coming from every direction. After all, the last time she had left Atlantis, Aubrey had been hunted, fleeing for her life. This time, her trip came with a full protection detail of well-trained Atlantian warriors. It didn't matter that she had a strange knack for staying alive, even after being mortally wounded. It didn't matter than she had skills with the blade and could channel magic. The Matriarch had to be guarded at all costs.

Strangely, some of them seemed to have forgotten that just a short time ago they were the ones doing the hunting.

As the dragon beneath her beat its wings, arms tightened around her waist. Tiberius's voice was low as he leaned close and said, "We're close. Get ready."

The transition from Atlantis to Earth had been seamless. The Atlantians who had travelled before them opening the way so that they would simply pass through on wing back. From dry skies, they emerged into torrential rain.

Glancing downwards, Aubrey swallowed at the sight of the blackened earth below. The scars of the recent battle were clear to see, a wound in the greenery. They covered ground swiftly, their destination arriving before she was truly ready. Aubrey tightened her fingers around the sword attached at her hip and blinked the rain from her eyes.

"Where to? It looks like there is nothing here."

Aubrey blinked as the gloomy building came into focus, the monastery a drab blight on the countryside. She could also see the faintest shimmer in the air. "It's the magic. Only guests can find his home. Fortunately, he never revoked his invitation so follow my lead." She ordered, leaning forward to whisper in the dragon's ear. "Fly straight, I've got you."

The dragon beneath her huffed and lowered its head, hurtling forwards. She felt the moment they hit the magic surrounding his land. The beast shook its head, fighting against the thrall trying to confuse her and turn her away.

Still, they pressed forwards. Aubrey closed her eyes and sought out the energy buzzing around them like angry flies, attempting to soothe and distract the jittery magic. She felt the moment the magic relented. Pop, like a bubble had burst, they passed through the magical barrier with ease. Too easy.

And with it came awareness. Aubrey sucked in a sharp breath as she felt the brief presence of something else. Despite how 'gentle' it attempted to be, Aubrey felt the invasive brush of barely restrained power. She swallowed past the lump in her throat.

There had been no chance of having the element of surprise. Merlin had hundreds of years' worth of magical training. Of course, he would feel it when his own spell had been broken. More concerning was the immediate thought which had followed.

Perhaps he had let it fall.

The fleet of dragons and their Atlantian riders circled above the building before coming in to land before the monastery like structure. The rain soaked grass crumpled under the weight of the huge beasts as they touched down with only the lightest thud. With one last beat, the dragon beneath her stilled.

"Wait here." Tiberius instructed, shifting so that he could slide down to the ground. Before he could make his descent however, Aubrey's pale hand wrapped around his.

"He knows we are here. Be on your guard."

Tiberius gave a stiff nod, gently lifting her hand from his arm before jumping from his companion's back and into a puddle of rainwater with a splash. He held his arms aloft towards her. Aubrey fought the urge to roll her eyes. Despite the fact she had saved his life only a week before, the infuriating man had treated her like porcelain from the moment she had gained her title.