Chapter 13: Interrogating

CHAPTER 13: INTERROGATING

I had devoured my piece of chocolate peanut butter pie (still not as good as Wired's peanut butter banana milkshake!) and was sipping on a hot chocolate by the time Jenna Martin joined Ethan and I at The Pie Shop.

The Pie Shop was a diner, but they specialized in pies. If their peanut butter chocolate one was any sort of representation, they did make pretty excellent pies. Ethan had opted for a burger and fries instead of desert, but I was fine with having a slice of pie for dinner. I knew I had just eaten a bunch of cookies and maybe following that with pie wasn't the best idea ever, but I could eat healthy at home. I wanted to spend my money on something yummy and besides, canned soup and TV dinners were waiting for me at home if I wanted them.

"How's the pie?" Ethan asked between bites of his burger.

"Great," I managed, between my own mouthfuls.

It was silent for a moment and I wondered if without the murder to talk about if we'd even have anything in common. I decided to find out, "So, I noticed a guitar in your room. Do you play?"

"I try to when I have time. I took lessons in junior high, but I've just been messing around since," Ethan said, chewing on a fry.

"What kind of music?" I asked, making sure my mouth wasn't full before I spoke.

Ethan thought for a moment, "Indie rock mostly, although punk rock is fun, maybe a little folk rock too. I'm a big fan of Green Day. I know they're getting up there, but they're fun. And, I like Bob Dylan. He's classic."

I didn't know much about music, but I could hear the love he had for it in his voice, "Are you in a band?"

Ethan shook his head, "Not right now. No time between school, sports, and college prep stuff. Maybe eventually. I write my own songs too, so it keeps me going."

"What kind of songs do you write?" I was curious.

Ethan shrugged, "Usually stuff that's going on in my life. Sometimes love songs. The usual."

Now I was more curious, "Love songs?"

Ethan laughed, "You're such a girl. Yeah. I mean, not really about anyone or anything, but what I think real love should be like, you know? Hey, it worked for the Beatles."

I smiled, "Yeah. Do you ever play them for anyone?"

Ethan thought for a moment, "Not really. Some of them are kind of personal. Maybe eventually, when they're ready, but I haven't even tried the whole band thing or playing live or anything. So, eventually is my answer."

I nodded, "Just make sure you keep it up. It's important to do the things you love."

Ethan smiled at me, "So, what do you love to do besides crash funerals and solve murder mysteries?"

I thought for a moment, "As boring as it sounds, I mostly read and watch movies."

Ethan shrugged, "That's not boring. I like those things too. What's your favorite movie?"

"All time favorite? That's hard," I thought for a moment, "But if I had to choose, probably Gone With the Wind."

"That's a classic," Ethan grinned.

"And, a chick flick. You wanted to say," I retorted, "But I like it because it was my mom's favorite movie and her favorite book. Now, it's mine. Second on the list would be Star Wars, by the way and it's a very close second."

Ethan laughed, "Bladerunner is at the top of my list."

"Also a classic," I said.

It was really nice talking to Ethan, not about the murder investigation for once, but about normal stuff like movies and music. It was a nice change of pace. I was really interested in what Ethan had to say too. And, no, not because he was cute, but because he was actually cool. So, it was too bad that the moment was interrupted by Jenna.