Chapter 2: Crushing

CHAPTER 2: CRUSHING

I couldn't help it. Ethan Ripley is gorgeous, with a capital G. I mean, he definitely beats out handsome! Is there a better word than gorgeous? Hot as hell, maybe? Because hot as hell is definitely the phrase that describes Ethan Ripley.

Ethan is popular, by far. He plays sports – basketball in the late fall and I know he played baseball last spring, but he's not a jock guy. He's smart. Like, really smart and competing for valedictorian.

I don't know how he finds the time, really – for sports and school and being popular. I mean, I have a part time job at the Palos Video Store and my funeral crashing and I'm doing okay – A's and B's are good, right? Still, some days, it's like that homework just piles up on you.

Back to the hotness of Ethan – so, he's smart, he plays sports, and he's nice. Yes, nice. I mean, he volunteers weekends at the hospital or at least he used to freshman year. I'm not stalking him, I swear. I only know this because when my mom was sick, I saw him there one of the times we went to the emergency room. Ethan even made my mom laugh when we were there. She was really sick and we were waiting for the doctor to come back in from talking with my dad and he made her laugh. It was really nice of him because we were all really stressed.

"It's not sparkling water," Ethan Ripley said in a faux haughty maitre d' tone, handing my mom the glass of water she had asked for from the nurse, "but here's the water you asked for."

My mom had a high fever and we were hoping the hospital would help get it down, so you know my mom felt crappy and not like laughing at all, but Ethan Ripley gave her a reason to. It took her a second and it was a stupid cheesy joke, but she laughed. She hadn't even smiled at that point in weeks and here she was laughing at Ethan Ripley's stupid comment. It was really nice to hear her laugh. It may have been the last time I heard her laugh, actually, and it was all because of Ethan. I'll admit, I had already thought he was cute at that point from seeing him at school, but at that moment cute turned into a full on crush. Believe me, I knew nothing would ever come of it, that's why it's called a crush. They're totally one sided and they just crush your heart into oblivion.

To make the story even better, Ethan had brought me a glass of water, even though I hadn't asked the nurse for one. It's like he knew I was thirsty too. He handed it to me and I couldn't think of anything to say. He didn't say anything either, but just smiled. For a moment we just stood there looking at each other. I just stared – I mean he's Ethan Ripley, but he smiled. Ethan has a great smile. I don't think he had to get braces, like I had at the time. At least those are off now. So, I stared at his smile and he smiled at me and then he was gone. I know he was just being nice and that it wasn't like he recognized me from school or anything. Still, it was really nice of him to bring me water too...and make my mom laugh.

And, did I mention he's gorgeous with a capital G? It's the last thing I'm talking about because he really is the real deal wrapped up in a super hot package. I just wanted to make that clear.  He's got wavy dark hair. It's the kind you want to run your hands through because you know it has got to be super silky. Not that I've ever felt his hair. Like I said, I don't think he knows I exist. I have a sneaking suspicion Ariel Walker has felt his hair, though, and she totally didn't deserve it.

And, Ethan's got bright blue eyes, which are staring at me curiously right now. Sigh, a guy with bright blue eyes equals major hottie in my book. I mean, they say the eyes are the windows to the soul and all and what amazing windows these are.

"How do you know Liz?" Ethan asked again.

I had lost myself in his eyes. What was my answer? I know I had one, "I, uh, I went to school with her."