Chapter 8

Sorry I haven't updated in...FOREVER it seems like....And this time I have no excuse for my absence.  Oh well....Here's the chapter both you and I have been waiting for. =)

**************************************

-Noah's P.O.V-

I pulled myself off the couch and walked out the door after Leanne.  I was thinking how idiotic our fight was earlier, all because Leanne was trying to make sense of something.  I mentally chastised  myself for being such a jerk....I opened my door and sat down.  I started the car, and pulled out of the parking lot.

The first few miles of the drive were silent.  Leanne broke the silence with a question.

"How far is Abbey street from your house?" She asked, staring out the window at the rain that had suddenly began to fall.  

"Oh not far.  A couple blocks, give or take."  I said, tapping on the wheel with my fingers.  I turned on the radio.  Leanne turned it off.

"I honestly hate that song." Leanne mumbled.

It was one of my favorite songs, but I held my tongue and continued the drive in silence.

Soon my house flashed by, illuminated by the lightening that had come with the rain.  "Just a few more minutes." I mumbled, flicking the button for the fog lights to come on.  

I turned right, where a green sign labelled 'Abbey St." was struggling against the growing winds, the rain gave our mission a corny horror movie effect.

I chuckled as I remembered something.  I continued to chuckle as Leanne stared at me.

"What's so funny?" she asked, utterly confused.

"I was just thinking the irony that someone was murdered on Abbey Street." I laughed at the thought.  She was obviously confused.

"Well what's wrong...Is it the title?" She asked.  I could see the wheels turn in her brain.

"Well, if you take the word abbey, it's also known as a monastery.  You know, where nuns and monks live.  They're oh so peaceful.  And here we are, investigating a murder on Abbey street."  I chuckled as realization lit up on her face.

"Why, that is incredibly ironic.  I wonder if there's a library near by...that'd be easier to look up the murders." She said, diverting the subject.

I thought.  "There's one down by the food store, on Main street.  Don't you want to take a look around here first?"

"Well yes, but do you mind if we drive around?  I wasn't expecting the rain." She motioned to her sweats and sweatshirt.  

I snickered at her small dilemma.  "Sure." I said, and drove slowly down the street.  I turned left when the street ended and she pointed to a crumbling structure.

"That's where I origanlly went...the church were he told me to go to the medium, which was right next door...." her finger moved to point to a white house with peeling paint, and a lawn with a large willow tree.  The house was not helping the corny horror movie situation.

"Well, if this is all you saw, then let's head on over to Main street." I said casually.

She nodded.

-Leanne's P.O.V-

We drove slowly in the growing storm towards Main street.  The whole time I had been so mad at myself.  Why did I get so mad at Noah? He was just pointing out that the fact that I was making the whole thing redundant, with saying we weren't safe anymore.  I mentally slapped myself and pushed it from my mind as we parked on the street in front of the library.

I climbed out of the car, and once realizing that the drizzle we had experienced whilst driving to Abbey street, had now become a torrential downpour.  I sprinted to under the canopy.  Noah also running, but laughing, now that my hair made me look like that girl from the movie The Ring.

He walked in front of me as my phone vibrated in the pocket of my sweatshirt.  I pulled it out as I walked into the library.

"Hello?" I said, running my fingers through my hair.  The water dripped out of my hair, the librarian giving me a dirty look.

"Where are you?" a voice I didn't recognize for a minute asked.

"Ashleigh, relax.  I'm just with Noah at the Main street library." I responded, following Noah to the computers.  The librarian cleared her throat and pointed to a sign in sheet by her desk.

I mentally rolled my eyes and walked over and signed, as did Noah.

"Well what are you doing there?" She asked, she told someone to shush in the background.

"Well after you left I found out the ghost got murdered on Abbey street..." I drifted off as I realized people were staring at me as they heard me talk about ghosts. "Uhm, can you actually get my computer fired up and IM me?  People are staring as I talk about this."

She chuckled. "Sure."

I hung up and fired up one of the computers.  First I opened up an IMing program, then an Internet browser.

Soon a ding echoed throughout the nearly silent library.  Ashleigh had IM'd me.  She asked me to describe the story.

I told her about the peddler and Abbey street, and how we were at the library.  She responded by saying she was on her way.

I let out a small noise.  I didn't need her here, but oh well.

I got to Google and typed in "murder on abbey street".  The first page of results weren't very helpful, they were about Abbey Streets in Maine, Missouri, and Nebraska.  I needed the Abbey Street in Middlebury, Conneticut.  I modified my search to "murder on abbey street in middlebury" these results were a little more helpful.  

There were many men who had been buried, people such as 'Emile Hamilton' and 'Gregory Buchannan'.  Abbey street wasn't a very safe street, was it?  I picked three names, which the pictures matched the shadow's shape and height.  I ended up taking 'Paul Ladris', 'Frank Keaton', and 'Howard Terrafino'.

Noah had been browsing the book section, I could tell nothing was really catching his eye.  I walked up to him and tapped him on the shoulder.  "I'm ready." I said, holding a paper with the names on them.

"Alright, who do we have?" He said, holding his hand out.  I put the paper in his hand and he scanned it.  "Interesting names." He finished with a smirk.  I laughed and when we walked out, Ashelgih walked in.

"Hey!  Where are you going?" She asked, her enthusiam slowly melting away.

"Oh, we were just finished.  I got the names and I'm ready to go back tonight." I said, cheerfully.  I then realized something.  It must've showed on my face, because Noah and Ashleigh looked worried.

"Excuse me, if you're done wasting the town's money, can you close the door?" The librarian said teresly.  

No one answered her but Ashleigh stepped inside.

"Well? What's wrong?" Ashleigh said, putting her hand on my arm.

"No one will take my seriously with these clothes.  If I'm going to be serious and get that ghost out of my life, I need to be TAKEN seriously."  I said.

"Well you're going to have to dress like them, I suppose." Ashleigh said.

"Where are we going to find hoopskirts and bodices and all that stuff, in the 21st century?!" I said.

"We'll have to improvise." Ashleigh said.

I groaned.  I did NOT want to do that.  We diverted from the subject and walked back to our cars.  I decided to ride with Ashleigh this time.  We talked about just how we were going to pull off a hoop skirt.

--------------------------------------------

Sorry if this chapter is horrible, I have to get back into the gist and all before I start writing decently.