Step 3 (part 1)

The Essential Guide to Surviving a Zombie Apocalypse

Step 3 - Find out what kills them and how to dispose of their bodies then practice this skill, lots.

It was morning and I was on page three.  I could hear Tank below and I was trying very hard not to freak out.  I had woken up a number of times during the night.  I was always reaching for him just to reassure myself I wasn’t alone, that he was here, and that I was safe.   

I had spent months alone, so why now I was so dependent on him?

 “Is that the book?” 

I didn’t hear him jump back onto the roof. 

“Yeah, do you want to read it?”

His mouth puckered and he looked away quickly, “Nah, I’m right.”

“Tank?”

He looked at his hands, “You have it and I trust you.  I don’t know what it’s going to say that we aren’t already doing but... Pa seems to think it might be important.”

“Tank, can you read?”

“Of course I can read.”

“Tank?”

He grimaced and looked away again.

“I won’t judge you Tank.”

He nodded his head slowly, “I can read some words just not the big ones.  I reckon an official document like that one would have a lot of big words in it.”

“You’d be surprised,” I scoffed.  “I went through hell to get this and,” I waved my hand at it, “Maybe your father will see something I am missing because right now...”

“Shh Miss Kate,” Tank quickly pulled me into his arms as I muffled a sob. 

“I’m sorry Tank, I just hate this.  I want everything back like it used to be.  Why did they do it?  Why didn’t they test it better?  Drugs are supposed to be thoroughly tested.  I don’t understand.”

Tank swept some hair off my face, “I’m not the right man to be asking big questions like that too, Miss Kate.  But one good thing came from TIGHT.  I got to find you.  I would never have found you if the world was like it was before.”

“But Tank, he touched me.  He...” I couldn’t finished.

“I know Miss Kate.  And I killed him.  I don’t want you thinking about that monster.  I’ll make sure they never touch you again.”

“How?  How Tank?  They are everywhere.  Sooner or later they are going to get me.”

“No!  I won’t let them.  I’ll look after you Miss Kate.  I can’t let anything happen to you.  I promise that I will protect you.”

“You promise?”

“Yes Miss Kate.  I promise that I will always be looking after you.”

I smiled through my tears.  His eyes were wide and I could feel his sincerity.  It was an innocent promise but I wanted to believe it.  So I closed my eyes and placed my trust in Tank. 

“Tank, you have forgotten to ask me something.”

“I have?”  He looked down at me and I could almost see the clogs in his brain working as he tried to work out what.

“Tank,” He dropped his eyes when I spoke his name, “You forgot to ask me to be your girlfriend.”

“Girlfriend?  You’d be my girlfriend?”