Chapter Twenty-Five: Back At The Starting Line

{Nico}

"-and you think your brother is behind everyone going missing? That sounds ridiculous. Like something straight out of a movie." Dylan was saying from the back seat. I had been trying to fill him in on the situation at hand for the past twenty minutes. It was even more exhausting than I thought it would be.

"Life would be so much easier if this was all just some made up story for entertainment, but it's not." I told Dylan from the passenger seat.

"Or is it?" He asked. I looked through the side mirror to see him looking out the window making some weird faces. As if he was hoping to break some imaginary fourth wall. "Hope you are all entertained enough. I'll start juggling babies in the next act so don't put your phone down just yet, you sockless nasties." I rolled my eyes and ignored Dylan. He was awfully calm about the situation. Though, I wondered if that was his way of staying calm. If cracking jokes prevented Glasses from freaking out and having a panic attack then I just would leave him in his own world. Dylan's facial expression turned into one full of worry as he went completely silent. He was starting to imagine the worst happening to Max and his two friends. There wasn't much I could say that would ease his mind. So I kept quiet instead.

I turned to look over at Frederik as he drove around. Frederik looked different wearing normal civilian clothes instead of his usual suit and tie. His hair wasn't slicked back and he wasn't wearing his glasses either. His attitude, on the other hand, was the same as always. He replied with short answers and only spoke when he needed to. Though, it was never suffocating or awkward so I was thankful for at least that much.

We were tracking Eli's signal. Somehow Junky had managed to place a chip on Eli. He pretended to be a normal civilian late for work and bumped into Eli, dropping the tracking chip into his bag. Really, if Eli had decided to leave his bag at home then we wouldn't even know where he was at. We got lucky. Eli was getting too comfortable. I was surprised he hadn't suspected Junky the moment they made contact.

I watched the red dot on the tablet make a right turn. We were a block away. Junky was following on foot and the rest of their team was back at their building. They were talking to the F.B.I. and hoped to get some back up from them. Frederik had an ear piece in. That is how he was talking to the rest of his team. He kept Dylan and I informed on how things were going on their end. Apparently the F.B.I. weren't too happy that the private investigators were helping me out.

The F.B.I. Suspected me of being just another pawn moving on Eli's command. An absolutely wrong judgement but I didn't blame them for thinking the way they did. The Mafia is widely known to be all about family and trust within the members. I sincerely believe it would have been that way had Eli not pushed me away when we were younger. I would still think that Eli was an amazing brother. Someone I looked up to and aspired to be. So, although I wanted to break every bone in their bodies for ever thinking Eli and I are on the same team, I was kind enough to let it slide this time. Nothing good would come out of me getting on the F.B.I.'s bad side. They were an organization I definitely didn't want to ever meet.

"You've been staring at me." Frederik said glancing at me before turning his attention back to the road.

I immediately looked towards the front as well, "Don't think anything weird of it. I was just lost in my own thoughts."

"Mmm." Frederik hummed in response. "Alright then. I'll try not to let my imagination get the best of me." His sarcasm was even more annoying now that I knew he didn't really work for the family. It's not like I could threaten to fire him. Even if I did, Frederik wouldn't pay it any attention at all.

"I have a question." Dylan said peeking from around the passenger seat.

"This isn't a class setting. Just ask." I told him with an eye roll.