Chapter Ten: Precious Memories

{Mikhail}

Max left in a hurry as he got a sudden phone call. He was practically running outside to pick up the phone call. I was curious as to who was calling but even if I asked he wouldn't tell me. I had a feeling that Max wasn't real fond of me. Honestly, he didn't look all too fond of any body. I looked at Dylan who was still looking in the direction Max ran off to. I wanted to know what he was thinking but I didn't want to bring anything up in front of Nico.

Nico only watched Max with a weird expression but it didn't seem like he was bothered by his sudden disappearance. It made me wonder if they were actually friends. He didn't seem concerned or curious at all. He pushed back on the chair again and closed his eyes.

"What was that about?" Dylan asked trying to sound as casual as he could.

"Dunno." Nico answered without opening his eyes.

Dylan rose his eyebrows at me and I shrugged slightly. Dylan leaned forward slightly to drink his smoothie and let out a small sigh. "Nico? Can I ask you something?"

Nico opened one he slightly and said, "Depends."

Dylan coughed nervously and asked, "Does Max... Uhm, I don't know how to say this... You know? Go out often?"

I frowned slightly at Dylan as he fumbled for words. I knew that I should have stopped Dylan's curiosity about Max when he first met him. I should have done something to prevent them from speaking. Dylan didn't need to get involved with Max. The way I saw it, Max didn't have much of a future for himself. Dylan did. His grades were slightly above average. He had already been accepted to the three universities.

"Sure." Nico shrugged. "We all go out sometimes."

"No. No, I mean like..."

"What Max does on his free time isn't my business. Take it up with him if you're so curious."

"Ah, you're right. Sorry." Dylan said rubbing the back of his neck softly, "Aren't you friends though? Aren't you at least curious as to what he does-"

"I know what he does. That doesn't mean I'll spill everything just because you ask. I don't like to gossip behind my friends back." Nico said with a serious expression. He already had both eyes open and placed his chair back on the ground. "I suggest you back down. Max is capable of taking care of himself. He doesn't need you or I babysitting him."

"I wasn't trying to-"

"You think you should be responsible for him because he's younger. I get it, but stop looking down on him. He's been through so much more than you think despite his age. The moment you start treating him like a child is the moment you lose everything."

"I don't understand."

"You're not meant to. Just stay out of his life, deal?" Nico said expecting Dylan to just back down easily.

I knew it wasn't going to be that easy. Dylan is very stubborn. It could be an advantage or a flaw on his part. Dylan had a look that said he wouldn't back down. He spoke up and said, "So, you're saying it's okay for a minor to sell his body at night? What he's doing is dangerous. If you were his friend you would stop him, don't you think? Or are you also sleeping with him?"