Chapter Nine: Past Vs Present

{Max}

The whole situation disgusted Max.

Nico was acting like a girl with a high school crush. Of course, it was important to point out that he still kept his Mafia-like demeanor but Max wasn't blind. He saw the hints of a real smile whenever that guy, Mikhail, would say or do anything at all directed towards Nico. Whether it was to insult him or push him away.

Max couldn't understand what was so special about Mikhail. He looked average. Average usually got tossed aside by Nico. The only thing that might have actually been interesting about Mikhail would be his maroon eyes and even then they still didn't really stand out when in a crowd. Mikhail looked like the average bookworm who focused all his time on studying. His face looked like it had been frozen into a gloomy state. For the past ten minutes or so that they had been sitting at the food court, Mikhail hadn't smiled once.

Max took a sip of his smoothie that he begged Nico to buy for him. Dylan offered to pay for it but Max refused. He never needed charity from anybody and he sure as hell wasn't going to start now.

Dylan kept asking him every two minutes if he was sure that they hadn't met somewhere before. As if he hadn't heard that line before. He didn't recognize the guy. Max figured he was probably just some horny teenager looking to get laid and hoped a stupid, outdated pick-up line would work.

No money. No sex.

His number one rule that he would never break. Max needed as much money as he could get but asking Nico for it was unthinkable. No matter how much he needed the money, it was his problem and he would handle it alone. Even if selling his body to dirty men and sweaty teenagers was the way to do it. He knew that if he asked Nico for the money then he would give it to him. No questions asked, but he still couldn't do it.

"You okay?" Dylan asked as he bumped Max's arm with his own.

Max shifted uncomfortably from being touched suddenly and glared at Dylan, "Don't worry about it."

"I was just wondering." He said. Dylan sunk slightly into his seat and looked away.

Max shook his head as Dylan seemed to be sulking. Max looked towards Sera and Dan. Sera looked way too comfortable with her for someone who was nagging at Nico about not getting close to these people. Their bodies were facing one another as they laughed about some joke that Dan had said.

Sera was someone he had to keep a close eye on. She was hiding some thing but he didn't know exactly what. Whether she was working with Elisha to overthrow Nico or she was a spy from a different group was still unknown. He wouldn't let his guard down. Despite having his own problems to work through, he still owed his life to him. Max treasures Nico like the older brother he never had. If Nico hadn't picked him off the street and given him a second chance at life, then he would have died within a couple days and left his business unfinished.

"Max. Quit glaring at everyone."

Max tore his eyes off of Seraphina and Dan and looked towards Nico. Even though he was glaring, it was much softer when he looked at Nico. "I wasn't."

"Sure you weren't." Nico said with a small grin. "Why are you so angry today? Did You and Sera pull a Freaky Friday or something?"

Dan, who was in the middle of chewing, nearly choked. She swallowed roughly the food in her mouth as Sera pat her back gently, "You've seen that movie?" She asked behind a napkin. Sera seemed like she was trying to hide her smile behind her hand but it failed miserably.