Chapter Ten - Marriage Proposal

"So I'm here. Tell me."

Julian had passed by my work during lunch time just like he said he would and he took us to the same restaurant that we went to when we were with Charlie.

My palms were becoming sweaty and my heartbeat was accelerating. I was nervous for some reason; nervous of what he had to say.

"Shouldn't we order first?" He asked nervously and I could tell that he was stalling but I went along.

"Okay."

Julian motioned for the waitress to come and take our orders. I ordered the first thing on the menu, but didn't know what Julian ordered since I zoned out.

"Rosie."

"Hmm?"

"I was asking what you would like to drink." He told me with half a smile.

"Water is good." He nodded and ordered water for him as well.

An uncomfortable silence settled between us once the waitress left; neither of us said a word even though I knew that both of us wanted to say something. I didn't want to ask him again what he wanted to talk about. I could see that he was nervous and figured that he would talk when he was ready.

It wasn't long until the food arrived. We both nibbled at our meals until I couldn't take it anymore.  I placed my fork down and looked up at Julian.

"Julian, please why are we here?" I asked him.

He looked up at me with a nervous smile. "We're here to eat."

I looked at him dumbfounded. "Julian."

"Okay, um... I really don't know how to say this." He started. "I don't even know if this is the right place or time." He paused as he looked at me.

"Julian, please just say what you need to say." I told him; figuring he needed a little encouragement.

"Okay, here goes nothing." He said more to himself than to me. "Rosie, I like you." He looked at me and noticed my expressionless face so he went on. "I've liked since the moment I saw you five years ago. I know this may sound weird, but it's true. I couldn't be with anyone else. You were always haunting my mind." He looked at me for a moment as if searching my eyes for some sort of emotion, but saw nothing so he continued. "My parents are trying to get me to marry, but I don't want anyone but you. What I'm trying to say is that I want to marry you; I want to make you my wife." My whole body suddenly went rigid as if someone had thrown cold water all over me. Julian noticed that and added. "I know you told me the other day that you're still not over your husband. That's why I didn't know if I should have said something or not, but I wanted to make my intentions clear. I'm willing to wait for you for as long as you want."

"I'm not... I'm.... what about the kids? Did you think about the kids?"

"I love the kids and I consider them as my own." He said. "I'm willing to take care of them. No, I want to take care of them." He looked at me with eyes full of love.

"Julian... I... I don't know what to say." I told him honestly. Marriage was the last thing on my mind. I would never imagine myself with anyone other than Nicholas.

"Then don't say anything." He told me. "Just promise me that you'll think about it." He pleaded with his eyes. I nodded hesitantly and a hopeful smile made its way to his face.

We finished eating silently. I didn't know what to say; I was just lost in my thoughts and Julian noticed so he didn't say anything as well. He dropped me off to work after we finished our lunch. The car ride back was silent and I felt like Julian was trying to give me some space and for that I was thankful.