Chapter Three - Tears of Frustration

"Mommy, can we go to the amusement park tomorrow?" Lily Rose asked me as she stood between my legs while I braided her hair the next day.

"I have work, baby."

"Okay." She answered dejectedly As her shoulder zagged with disappointment.

I felt bad that I couldn't take my kids out on a Sunday because I had to work.

Maybe I could try to talk to the manager today to let me take the day off tomorrow I thought to myself. I was sure he wouldn't say no, but I'd have to work more the next day to earn extra money. My kids deserved to be happy and have fun with their mom for at least one day. I finished braiding my daughter's hair then turned her around.

"You know what, baby?"

"What?" She asked me with a sad smile.

"We're going to the amusement park tomorrow."

"Yay!" She yelled happily and wrapped her tiny arms around my neck. She then ran to the living room where her brother was watching T.V and I followed her. "Adam, mom is taking us to the amusement park tomorrow." She told him excitedly.

Adam turned around with a huge smile on his face and asked me. "Really?"

"Yes, really baby." I assured him as I walked towards him and placed a kiss on his cheeks.

Suddenly the doorbell rang; startling us. "Grandma's here!" Lily Rose yelled as I chuckled and went to open the door.

"Hey, mom" I greeted her once she entered.

"Hey, sweetheart. Going already?" She asked me as she saw me wearing my work uniform.

"Yes, I was just waiting for you to arrive." I informed her and she nodded. "There's food in the fridge if the kids get hungry." I informed her.

"Don't worry about anything, sweetheart." I nodded with a smile on my face.

The kids suddenly came running to the door. "Mom, can grandma take us to the park today?" Adam asked me with his puppy dog eyes.

I looked at my mom and she just nodded. "Okay, but you have to be nice to grandma." I told them sternly. They bobbed their heads up and down happily. I kissed their cheeks and said goodbye before heading out to work.

#

"No." Frank, the restaurant's manager, said.

"But..."

"No buts, Rosie. You know Sunday is a busy day around here." He told me before walking away.

I looked at his retreating back with anger seething through my body. I had already promised the kids that I would take them to the amusement park. I didn't want to disappoint them. I wanted to scream in frustration, but didn't. Instead, I undid the apron, pulled it quickly off and threw it on the restaurant's kitchen counter.

"Where are you going?" Leo yelled.

"I'm taking my break." I told him over my shoulder before walking out.

I leaned against the restaurant's wall and let my tears of frustration run down my cheeks. I couldn't let the kids down. I hadn't taken them out in a very long time. I felt so guilty for not being able to take them out. It was just a simple thing they asked me to do and I wasn't able to do it.

"Rosie?" I heard someone say my name. I looked up and saw Julian. How is he always popping out of nowhere?

"Why are you crying?" He asked me as he walked closer towards me.

I stood up straight and wiped my tears with the back of my hands. "I'm not crying, there's just something in my eye." I told him lamely as I lowered my head.