Losing control

Nora
I hold a photo of my mom and dad at their wedding. They look happy, no doubt. In my other hand I hold a photo of me and Mr. Hamilton. Him kneeling down before me asking me to marry him. That moment I had been shocked and disappointed. Shocked because he was kneeling before me with a ring. Disappointed because something inside me had hope he wouldn't go through with this. That he wouldn't propose just for the benefit of having a company all for himself.

Then realization hit me. I am scared because I know what it means. I will be his wife. The woman who he will have by his side until he decides he has had enough. I am sad because now that I hold my parents wedding photo I know my dreams of having a love like theirs is crushed. Joe was that opportunity. The chance at a love so pure and good.

I know my feelings for Mr. Hamilton aren't just hatred. He has made his way into my heart and now I am falling. It's like fighting a war with myself, a war I can't win.

"Nora?" I put the pictures back in the box and put a smile on my face.

"Hello Mr. Hamilton." I say turning around to see him closing the bedroom door behind him.

"What where you doing?" He asks eyeing the box.

"Looking at some pictures. Shouldn't you be heading to the office?"

"Yea I was actually but someone came asking for you," he wears a blank face. Could it be Joe? No. Mr. Hamilton wouldn't even let him pass the gate or alert me about it. Rosa and Rafael are too busy in the bakery to come, unless something happened.

"Is everything okay?" I ask hoping he will say yes. He nods, "she says she's your best friend. Do you know a Hailey Brooks?"

"She's downstairs?" He nods again. I immediately rush past him and downstairs.

Hailey stands by the door eyeing the house. She has cut her long blond hair into a bob. She wears shorts and cowboy boots. She looks... different.

"Finally!" She says giving me the biggest hug. God, I have missed her so much. "It's been ages, well months but it felt like ages. This house is like a palace. I had the privilege to meet your boyfriend too. More handsome in person than in magazines." She might have changed her look but she's obviously the same Hailey I had met in fifth grade.

I put my hand up so she can see my ring, "oh my god. And you didn't call?" I immediately feel bad but I have had my reasons.

"I wanted to tell you in person, surprise," I say innocently.

"This is crazy! When's the wedd-" she stops suddenly not because I have interrupted her but because Mr. Hamilton is standing on the bottom of the stairs.

"Hailey is my best friend since elementary school," I tell him.

"Well I'll leave you two to catch up," he exits to his office without another word.

Hailey pulls me away from the living room and towards the door. When we are outside with no one around she folds her arms and waits, tapping her heels into the concrete.

"Well?" She asks.

"Well what?" I hope she doesn't see right through me.

"Oh come on Nora," she says rolling her eyes. "I am pretty sure you two have bought the public and his family but I am not buying it. You two are totally faking it. But my main question here is why?" I sigh. Of course Hailey would notice. She knows me too well.

I also know what the contract says specifically but this is Hailey. I trust her. So I tell her everything. She embraces me and then goes back to her position.