Chapter XXXVIII - Not Cowering, Just Pouting

Constantine picks me up again this morning. He's looking gorgeous as usual, but something is different about him today. I can feel waves of controlled anger coming off him the moment I get in the car. His wonderful scent engulfs me and I feel a sense relief, but I'm still hurt. I still don't feel like talking to him. I stare out the window the whole way. I can feel his eyes on me from time to time all the five minutes drive to school.

"So, how long are you going to keep this up?" he finally asks. His voice sounds measured. "Or have you decided not to talk to me ever again?"

"I just need some space. I need some time." If he's going to keep defending his precious Milan, then I need more time. A lot more time.

"I thought I'm already giving you time?" he asks through gritted teeth.

"Well, maybe I need more time," I announce, pushing the door open, but his hand snatches my wrist in a firm grip before I can jump out and run off.

He leans over me and closes the door. "I'm usually not a very patient man, Genesis," he whispers in my ear. His chest is pinning me back against the leather seat of the car. There is something dark and feral in his voice, lurking underneath that calm surface. I am suddenly reminded of what he really is. A powerful, deadly, and dangerous lycan. "So far I have been very patient with you," he grazes his nose and lips against my cheek and down my neck. Goosebumps and sparks breaking across my skin. Though I'm trying to push him away, my body wants him.

"I heard about you partying while I was away," anger and jealousy is evident in his voice. "Just how much fun did you have that night, sweetheart?"

"Let me guess, Milan told you this," I snap.

"She just overheard some kids talking about it," he replies. "Threat carefully, my love," he warns. His voice sounds menacing. Suddenly he pushes the shirt off my shoulder. He places his mouth on my bare skin and runs his tongue from my neck, all the way to my shoulder. Ripples of pleasure run through me. Just as my eyelids flutter shut, his mouth clamps on my shoulder, making me take a sharp breath and my eyelids fly open. I feel his canine pressing on the skin of my shoulder hard, but not enough to break skin. "I might decide to collect what's mine very soon, whether you're ready or not."

I still have faith in my mad ninja skills. Yeah, I'm the glass half full kinda person. The whole day I've been busy avoiding everybody. I've been busy trying to look busy, which, by the way isn't as easy as it sounds.

Avoiding and hiding from Constantine is the hardest. Even when I don't see him, I can feel his eyes on me, especially in hallways between classes. Sometimes I wish I can still pretend that he's looking at something behind me.

During lunch, I can feel his gaze burning holes through the side of my head.

"He hasn't taken his eyes off of you yet," reports Penny. "Don't look now, but that bitch Milan is clinging onto him like a leech..."

"Penny," utters Reese warningly. After yesterday's incident, my friends decided to sit at our usual table. I decided to join them.

Oh, and that warning from Penny not to look? It makes me look. It's hard enough to keep my eyes away from him most of the time today. He is like a magnet to my eyes.

Sure enough, Milan is clinging onto his arm like a vine. She's even resting her chin on his shoulder, her face so close to his. I feel like scratching her perfect face.

Constantine's eyes are fixed on me, intense and challenging. He's daring me with his eyes to look away. Our eyes locked for a minute or two before I manage to tear my gaze away.

I glance back a few minutes later to see them whispering to each other. Heads close together. It hurts. Why does it hurt so much?

"You should go sit with the rest of them, GenGen," says Reese softly.

"But I'm not leaving you guys here. You are my best friends," and I don't want to sit anywhere near that bitch.

"Yeah, we're her best friends. She's not going to abandon us to sit with the lycans," hisses Penny, glaring at Reese.

"But she is one of them now," argues Reese.

"No I'm not. I'm one of you," I argue back.

"Genesis, I don't know if you realize this, but you are one of them now. You look like them. You feel like one of them. You are as intimidating as they are."

"I intimidate you?" I squeak, appalled.

"No...that's not what I meant. What I meant to say is, you have that presence that only a lycan has. All of us werewolves can feel it now."

"Well, I'm not leaving you guys," I announce stubbornly.

"Yeah, she's not leaving us. We've been friends since we're in diapers, the lycans just knew her," agrees Penny as she links her arm around mine. Her bottom lip juts out into a determine pout.

"But he's her mate," insists Reese.

"Let it go, baby. It's her choice to make," says River, rubbing her shoulder soothingly.

"Okay, but all I'm saying is, if it's River sitting over there with some other girl hanging over his arm like she belonged there, I'd scratched her eyes out and claimed my place. I won't be sitting here and cower away," states Reese fiercely.

"I'm not cowering away. I just need some time to think," and pout.

I can feel eyes on me. I can see fingers pointing and hear their whispering. I know people are talking and speculating about why I'm not with Constantine or sitting with the lycans anymore.

I see Logan staring. I see so many people staring , it's suffocating.

********************************************************************
I'm in Tokyo right now. Thank you so much for your votes and comments, my cuddly bunnies!!! You guys are awesome!!! Managed to write a chap on my 16 hr flight.
Much love
Nicole