Chapter Seventeen: Figuring It Out.

Angel knew something horrible had happened.

When Sammy had left her yesterday, the sun was high in the sky, just after he told her of a mysterious ship docked on the Neverland shore, a ship that had done so without her knowledge, which was impossible. Right away, this was a tell-tale sign that something was completely and undeniably amiss. Why couldn't she see the ship? What was on the ship that blocking her sight? Why was her mind's eye blind to this supposedly grand vessel?

She had swam to a pond outside of the dark cave, thinking about heading towards the gulf to investigate herself. But she didn't want to venture too far from her and Sammy's meeting spot incase he came back for anything. Obviously, she would known if he was, but since she didn't even know a that a ship, for god's sake, had ported on the shore, maybe she should stick around just in case she misses something else.

Indeed, just as she was about to dip back down into the water to return to the cavern, the wind picked up its pace, the water grew cold, dark, and the currents pushed in on themselves. Angel had gasped and looked up to the sky as a grand arc of lightning struck a nearby tree, splitting it down the far side with an array of fantastical sparks. Thunder crashed so loud, she covered her ears and screamed, the booming noise echoing in the pit of her abdomen and chest, shaking her bones.

The clouds turned a threatening shade of ash, broken only by the occasional streak of lighting. Neverland has been threatened. But whom? By what?

The urge to go out to the gulf is almost too much to resist now. What is going on? What's happening? Is Sammy safe? If he alive?

Angel closes her eyes and rubs her temples, trying to push her all-seeing-mind through the fog that's blocking her vision of the ship. The sees this fog and imagines her hands pushing it away, to find a hole, some way through, but it's solid. She tries, again and again, wading in the pond, eyes clenched tight, her fingers rubbing small circles into her temples. Something, anything, let her see... .

She gasps as a furious pain shoots through her head like an electric a switch has been flipped. The fog fades, reveling a decrepit ship in it's place.

“Oh,” Angel breathes, “Oh, no.”

*_*_*

Sammy is running so fast, he can't feel the bottoms of his feet. He's so scared and frightened and angry and sad that he can't seem to find a single happy thought for flying. Considering this, he doesn't want to fall into a tree again if he were to still attempt at flying.

That's the last thing they need, so he sprints. Cuts drip blood from where twigs scratch his ankles, but he uses the stinging to further push him. Away from his possessed father, tied up to a tree, observed by his mother, surrounded by Lost Boys and Girls armed with swords, knives, guns, and arrows. Would those even protect them from harm? Sammy had tied the hands and feet himself, but his greatest fear was that his father knew how to get out for them and that Trix could possibly figure that out before he got back.

Black clouds growl above the treetops, threatening and looming. Wind whips his hair in every direction. This is the first time in his life that Sammy has ever felt lost and alone in Neverland, his home, his element, his existence. The feeling scares him and he struggles to fight off the burning tears that collect behind his lids.

The mountain side towers above him, but he pays no attention as he urges the boulder away from the earthen doorway.

He shivers when he steps into the cool cavern, the sweat that had built up on his back turning ice cold. Angel, having felt his presence, emerges from the water, her face pale and eyes searching for his. “Sammy!” She stretches her arms out, beconing, offering her hands.

Her voice breaks his short pause, and his body draws like a moth to a flame, stumbling and collapsing to his knees before her, grabbing her fingers and pressing his forehead into her wet knuckles.

“A demon,” He croaks, trembling and voice shaking, “There's a demon inside my father, Angel, and I don't know what to do.”

A demon...Angel had suspected such a vile creature, or at least something of that nature, but, to her frustration, she couldn't see for sure. This explains a lot; it explains everything.

“How do we get it out?” Sammy looks up, tears brimming red along his lashes, “Angel, help me, I don't know... I'm so scared, please.” He starts to hiccup, choking on his own words, and Angel pulls him forward, cradling his head into her lap after she perches on the side of the pool, his warm tears seeping into her scales.

“ I'm scared, I'm so, so frightened... I don't know what to do!” He bellows angrily into the cavern, his voice echoing throughout, then collapses back down into her lap, sobbing, and she does her best to comfort, running her fingers through his hair, rubbing his back. She feels useless.

After a few minutes of indulging in the emotions he'd been hiding so well from the children and his mother and that damned demon, he sniffles and sits up. He turns away from Angel to swipe at his eyes and nose. He feels her hand placed on the small of his back, her nails brushing soft patterns into his skin. Goosebumps pop up along his arms at the sensation.

“I think I can help.” Angel whispers, and Sammy turns so hard, his back cracks.

“You can? How?” He urges, grabbing her hand, thumb circling her knuckles, before kissing them briefly, disctracting her. She blushes, and for a moment, Sammy forgets about the trouble, the horror and the pain, and smiles shyly, pulling her onto his lap, slipping his feet his feet into the pool, her tail weaving in and out between them.

“The entire Mermaid Speicies is created purely from the state of your soul.” She begins, fiddling with the acorn buttons lining his shirt, “When dealing with that of the spiritual being, there is either Holy or Unholy, and each harms the other. Angels, God, Saints, they are all Holy. Spirits of newborn babies, they are Holy. But demons, the souls of killers, the Devil himself, they are Unholy.”

Sammy shivers, and she kisses his lips, brushing his cheek, “The Unholy can harm the Holy,” She says, “And the Holy can get rid of the Unholy. That is the way, Sammy. We must get something extrememly Holy, sacred, and pure to excersise the demon out of your father.”

Sammy nods and mulls over her words, twisting a strand of her golden hair between her fingers as he does so.

“Something Holy..sacred....” He ponders, “What about the Sanctuary? That's very sacred to the fairies.”

Angel shakes her head, frowning, “But it's not Holy. Fairies are pure at birth, but they aren't righteous or Holy in power, and thus is not their Santuary.”

The water bubbles and drips around them as they wonder what they could do. Angel's mind is working a thousand miles an hour, Sammy's just as fast. Angel starts from the beginning of time, searching the Neverland history, straight from Creation, looking for anything that could work-

“Oh!” She gasps, jerking in suprise on Sammy's lap, making him jump in shock, eyes wide.

“What? What is it? You've thought of something, haven't you?” He presses.

Yes, she has. It had to do with the word Creation, something sparked in the back of her mind... an old story... prophecy... no, not prophecy...

“Creation...” She trails off and suddenly takes Sammy's hand in a firm grip, as if she would fall off the earth without his presence to anchor her down.

“I know what we need, Sammy.” She breathes, her heart pounding at the extraordinary vision before her mind's eye.

“What is it?” He squeazes her hands, blood rushing to his finger tips in anticipation. Angel's tail curls around his feet and her eyes meet his, sparkling in excitement.

“The Garden of Eden.”

*_*_*

A/N: It's so short, it's shameful, but it's an update! Tell me your thoughts!