A Tail of Stars - Chapter Seventeen (part 1)

The sound of the heated argument filled me with a new kind of nervousness.  I picked up my pace.  Elizabeth tried to grab me but I danced out of her grip and rushed to the doorway of the dining room.

“They were in her room!” Mathias’ voice was pitched so low he practically growled the words.   The sound made me feel weak in the knees. 

“I already have men searching the mansion and the grounds.  I will handle this Mathias,” Castan warned through gritted teeth.

“You do that, Father.”  Mathias’ tone was deadly calm.  “But don’t think for a moment I’m sitting this one out. I will do whatever it takes to protect what’s mine.”  His eyes slid to where I was standing and I was captured in his gaze.  What I saw in the depths of his eyes took my breath away.

Lowering his head, the animal Mathias was showed in his movements as he stalked toward me.  His nostrils flared and he reached for me, guiding me backwards out of the dining room.  I stopped when I butted up against the far wall.  Mathias took another step, leaving only a whisper of space between us.  I could feel my heartbeat in my ears and I didn’t dare breathe for fear I’d ignite from the friction it would cause if our chests brushed.

Mathias inhaled and held the air in his lungs for several seconds before letting it back out and turning his face just enough so that his cheek grazed mine.  I couldn’t help the whimper that escaped my lips.  Mathias took half a step back and looked down into my eyes.

“You’ve been working with Derek?  Carving?”

I almost moaned at the tenderness in his voice but in a feat of strength I didn’t know I possessed, I held it back and nodded my response.  He lifted his hand and traced his thumb across my collarbone, appearing to be deep in thought.  I couldn’t draw enough air, or maybe there just wasn’t enough left in the room to calm my racing pulse.

His eyes captured mine again.  “When this wedding is over will you carve me a totem?”

I’m not sure where the confidence came from, but suddenly I had to touch him, to know that he was real and not a fantasy I’d dreamed up and convinced myself was true.  Mathias looked down at my hand that rested against his chest.  “Yes, for you, anything.” The words came out whispy and as breathless as I felt.

“Tell our story.”

“Our story.” My breath caught in my throat.  I didn’t mean to say the words.  They just slipped out.  I stepped back from him, my fingers coming to my lips.  Initially I touched them because I couldn’t believe what I’d said, but as I stood there I held them in place to keep from saying all the things that suddenly wanted to bubble out of my mouth. 

Mathias’ eyes burned as he watched and I hoped our link only extended as far as my emotions and not my thoughts.  If it did, all would be lost.  He was only holding back because he didn’t want to make the decision for both of us.

“Mati, didn’t you have a nice dinner planned for Casey?” Elizabeth asked, from behind me.  “She hasn’t eaten much today.  She’s always forgetting to feed herself.”

Mathias growled.  It was a low sound, one of warning.  I glanced over my shoulder.  Elizabeth wore a gloating smile.  Turning back, I was surprised to realize the rumbling sound was directed at me.

“You aren’t taking care of yourself?” he asked, jaw tight, barely keeping from clenching his teeth.   I blinked at the sudden mood change and tamped down my defensive feelings.

“I forget sometimes.”

Mathias offered me his hand, a lopsided grin breaking the tension in his features.  “I do have a surprise for you.” 

I tried to ignore the crowd that had gathered in the hall and also inside the dining room doors.  It wasn’t easy.  People parted, letting Mathias lead me to a table he had set up.   It was adorned with a lace table cloth and a dish where a bed of the special, pack gardenias floated in water. 

“You’re seat, my lady.”  A young man, probably one of Mathias’ friends, pulled out my chair then rounded the table and did the same for Mathias.  “My name is Damon.  I’ll be your waiter tonight.  Your food will be out in just a few moments.”

“What’s all this for?”

“I told you.  I want the chance for you to get to know me, just as I’ve grown to know and love you.”

Time stopped, or at least I felt like it should.  Damon wasn’t on the same wavelength as me because just then he showed up with two metal trays like you see on TV.  He placed one in front of me and removed the lid.

“Garlic chicken?” I asked, looking at Mathias.

“It’s your favorite, right?”

I nodded, trying not show how much his words coupled with his thoughtful gesture effected me.  Damon again provided the needed distraction, placing Mathias’ tray in front of him and bowing with a flourish, allowing me to regain my composure.

Damon plucked the lid from Mathias’ food revealing my second favorite dish from Peking, my favorite restaurant.

“You’re eating chicken?” I asked, blushing.

“Yeah.”  He shrugged, making a face that made his false casual manner all the more amusing to watch.

“I now know, from living with David for so many years that shifters aren’t fond of chicken, even a little bit.”

“I’m trying new things,” he said, probably unaware his lip was curling up.  He shook his head then his shoulders as a shudder traveled down his muscular form.  I stifled a laugh and stabbed a piece of chicken with my fork.

Mathias prodded his own food gingerly, as if it would come to life and bite back with any false move.  I watched, silent, as he forked a bit of his Mongolian Chicken and lifted it to his mouth.  His brows formed an angry V but he chewed and swallowed.

Surprise lit his eyes upon catching me staring.  His lips quirked into an expression of humor that had me wondering on the cause, but we both remained silent, enjoying the moment.