A Tail of Stars - Chapter Twelve (part 2)

I felt my throat constrict. “Of course, you have my blessing.”  I fanned my eyes, trying to keep from crying.  Ellie lunged forward, grabbing me and wrapping her long arms around me in a huge hug.  I could feel her silently sobbing which made me feel worse than her words already had.  I hugged her back until she was still.

“You’re going to love shifter weddings,” she said before pulling away.  I watched as she headed towards the door, dancing on her toes.  She reminded me of a child, carefree and happy.  She turned, hand on the doorknob and rushed back over to me, planting a light kiss on my cheek before rushing out of the room.

There was a squeal from the hallway and I smiled imagining Ellie throwing herself at David.  It was an odd image to reconcile against what I’d known of them only days before.  But it was a change I’d already accepted and adapted to, more easily that I’d have thought possible.

Mathias peeked his head inside the doorway.  “You okay?” he asked, stepping into the room.

“Yeah.”  I nodded.

“You wanna go for a run with me?  It’ll clear your head.”

“You just want to prove you can keep up with me.”

“Actually, yeah, but I was thinking we could run as wolves.”  I think he could see the panic in my eyes because he started talking faster.  “I thought I could start teaching you about what you are.  You know… since we’ve been denying you your heritage for so long.”

I stood up, moving to the table along the far wall.  I tidied the figurines of wolves that were all placed around a fire.  “I don’t know.”

Mathias moved slowly, coming to stand behind me.  “I’m sorry, Casey.  I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.  I’m trying hard to respect your wishes to remain… whatever this is.  But it’s like you said being near you, touching you even casually… I keep thinking if I can touch you just once more then it will be enough, that it will satisfy this ache, that it’ll last me.  But It’s never enough.  I’m doing my best though and I thought if we were wolves it would be easier, and I could teach the things you need to know.”

I turned around to find him staring at the floor. I touched his arm.  “I’m sorry.  I’m always hurting you.  Please, I don’t mean to pull away.  It’s not you I’m afraid of.  I’m just not sure I can do that again, being a wolf.”  I shook my head, trying shake off the memory of it.  “It hurt so bad.  I don’t think I can go through it again.  I thought I was dying…  But you knew that didn’t you?”  I looked at him, remembering. “ You’re the reason we stopped.  It was your searing hands that pulled me from the truck?”

“Yes, I can feel you just like you could feel me.  For me it’s your emotions, when they are strong.  Since you’ve been here I’ve wondered if that’s what drew you out to find me.  Your dreams.  Maybe they were strongest when I was distressed.”  He placed his hand on my cheek.  “I know you don’t really know me yet and have no reason to trust me.  But I know you, have known you all your life.  I want the chance for you to get to know me, too. I can help you change, so it doesn’t hurt like it did.  It’ll get easier, with time. Will you let me help you?”

I offered him my hand. “I trust you, Mathias,” I whispered, looking into his dark eyes.  I was more afraid of what I saw there than any amount of broken bones.