A Tail of Stars - Chapter Fifteen (part 1)

Elizabeth’s head cocked to the side and her attention snapped to me.  The look in her eyes made me wish I’d kept my mouth shut.  Her mouth was set in a grim line and I took a step back, bumping into one of the Johnsons.

“Yes, you know, preparations for the wedding and thank you, by the way.”  She turned to the boy Christopher had recruiter.  “Over there,” she said, pointing to a circle of women in the far corner.   “I know you didn’t know what you were doing when you said yes to Ellie, so I’ll go easy on you.  But honestly I think all this girly stuff is about as up your alley as it is mine.  Hence, if I have to suffer through it, so do you.”

Christopher nudged me forward.  “Ask her to explain a shifter wedding.”

I glared over my shoulder at him.  “Are you crazy?  I know when to shut my mouth and do what I’m told.”

“Liz, she has no idea what you are talking about.  Remember we have a shifter wedding virgin here.”  I blushed at Christopher’s word choice and elbowed him, earning a satisfying grunt in return.

Elizabeth’s features all softened and she stopped moving and turned her full attention on me, walking toward me.  I was already butted up against the twins, which I might as well have been backed into a wall, meaning I had nowhere to run.  She took my face in her hands, cradling my chin in her palm like I was baby.   “It’s so easy to forget how little you know.” 

Her warm smile drew me in and I forgot all about trying to escape.  “What’s so different about a shifter wedding?” I asked.  Elizabeth took my arm, leading me around the room. 

“You know about mates, at least a little.  When a shifter finds their mate it isn’t like with humans where they need this long courtship to know they are meant to be together.  Fate has chosen them for each other.  In another life, before they came here, they made promises to each other that connected their lives.  That bond is so strong that even though they can’t recall pledging themselves to one another, deep down their hearts remember, their souls recognize their other half.”

A young girl stopped in front of us.  “Is this what you wanted?” she asked, holding up the most beautiful wreath crown, made of  white flowers that smelled amazing and a gauzy looking, white material. 

“Are those gardenias?” I asked.

“Sort of,” Elizabeth said.  “They’re a special hybrid that can only be found here, in the pack gardens.”

I stroked my fingers over a petal from the young girl’s offering.  It felt satiny to the touch and when I pulled my fingers away they retained the dewy fragrance.  It reminded me of fresh rain and sugar.  “I’ve often dreamt of this particular flower.”

“Yes, I imagine you would,” Elizabeth said, not looking at me.  “It was always your favorite.  You never cared the trouble you got in for sneaking into the gardens, as long as you got to keep your prize.”  She shook her head, a tender yet sad smile ghosted across her mouth, lifting the corners of her lips the barest amount.

“You speak so casually of a past taken from me, erased, a gift maybe, allowing me to forget what I’ve lost or possibly a curse, keeping from me the knowledge of my birthright.  But I see how deeply you are affected, Elizabeth.  These are anything but casual memories for you.”

Elizabeth nodded, swallowing emotions I didn’t entirely grasp.  “You were always such a determined child.  Some would say stubborn, a mule.”  She chuckled.  “But I admired your spirit, your convictions.  You always knew what you wanted and you never let anything stand in your way.  You won us all over, even the hardest of us.”  Her eyes were shiny with unshed tears as she swallowed again.  “I’m sorry,” she said, wiping the moisture from her cheeks. “I’m not sure I was quite prepared for the sudden plunge into the past.  Please forgive me.”

Elizabeth turned away, hiding her emotions from us.  It was an awkward embrace, but I grasped her shoulders, hugging her from behind.  She leaned her head back, resting it against the top of mine.