Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

 Never argue with a fool. People might not know the difference.

Unknown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    La Vitigno was a beautiful little Italian joint just off Logan Avenue famous for their high prices and their tiramisu. The ride over there went smoothly but we hit a bit of a snag when it was time to be seated.

    Troye had dropped us off in front of the restaurant and told us to go in while he parked the car. The maître d' took one look at our scruffy clothes and started screaking up a storm. We tried to explain what was going on but he wouldn’t listen, not that I could really blame him. When Troye came back, we were sitting in the gutter half a block up. “What yous doing here?”

     Petra squinted as she looked up at him. “Enjoying the ambiance. The waiter won’t let us in.”

   Troye turned muttering, “We’ll see about that.”

  In the end we were seated at the best table and waited on hand and foot by the cocky maître d' who kicked us out. It seemed like in the short time after he ran us off he managed to accidentally slip on a wet rag and bruise his eye.

    The problem with being perpetually hungry is that when finally given an opportunity to gorge one’s self, the stomach can’t handle it. We had learned this lesson before so, despite the glorious offerings, we didn’t eat too much. But the rest we did take home in doggy bags.

    It was at in the bathroom at La Vitigno that I finally got to corner Petra. “What’s going on between you and Stalker Boy?”

    “Would you stop calling him that?” her reflection asked.

   “If the moniker fits,” I shrugged. “Come on, what is goin’ on?”

   She stormed over to the hand drier and some of her defensive words were lost to the noise. “Nothing, alright? There is nothing going on.”

   “Good because there is a word for what you are missy: ‘jailbait.’ And if he lays so much as a hand on you, I’ll make sure that’s where he ends up.”

   Whirling on me she screamed, “Why do you always assume the worst? It’s not like that ok. He’s not interested and nether am I. Eew, he has got to be at least twenty five.”

    “Fine. I expect the worst but let me ask you this: when expecting the worst, have I ever been let down? Besides what else am I supposed to think? You hear shots fired and unlike a sane person who’s first reaction is to run and hide, you go running off after him?” I screamed back.

    “That’s becau…” Her arm flapped uselessly through the air.

    “Because what?”

   “Look, while you were in the clinic getting your chest X-rayed we talked, ok?” She held up her hand when she saw my mouth open. “Just talked. He was talking about how if we ever expect the world to change, we as individuals have to be the ones to take the first step. If people started to help other people out then the world would be a better place.”

   “That’s a load of crap, I can’t believe –“ I exploded.

   “Just let me finish ok? To me, what he said made sense. No one helps us but then we don’t help anyone else, so why should they? When he went around that corner without even thinking about it I knew I had to follow.”

   Walking up to her, I took her now clean hands in my own. “Petra, you’ve always been easily swayed. And when it is you getting caught up in your books and taking on the mannerisms of the character, it’s sweet. But this, this could get you killed. Fine, we don’t help others, but then we’re also not sucked into their problems. We look after each other and that is what matters.”

    “I don’t want to just survive any more Amy. I’ve lived in fear these past few years. Fear that father will find us. Fear that we might at any moment be beaten or raped or both just because someone thinks we’re easy prey. Fear some Jack would pinch you leaving me all alone. I don’t want to live like that anymore; I want to see if I can change things.” Her plea was heart felt.

   I had thought I was doing such a good job of looking after her but it appeared I was wrong. “If you stick your nose into other peoples business it is likely to be shot off.”

   She smiled weakly. She must have known I had lost my venom. “I’m not stupid and I won’t be doing anything different. Just helping out where I see a need… starting with all that leftover food. I think we should order more and take it back to Dicksonville. People there haven’t had a decent meal in God knows how long.”

   With that she kissed me on the cheek and skipped out. I realized then that I would have to have a serious talk with Mr. Immanuel Jacobs. Whatever he had said to Petra must have been very damn convincing and I wasn’t happy.

     I could only hope that Petra would grow out of this phase faster then she had her southern accent after reading Gone With the Wind.

  I couldn’t corner him the next day or the day after. Nothing exciting happened but Petra didn’t leave us alone for more then three minutes.

     On the third day, Detective Paul Mason and Detective Sargent Tom Dawson came to find us in Dicksonville. It seemed the body of a young miner had been found during the night and we were required to go in to possibly help ID the body.

   He had been crucified.