Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

Unknown

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    “The next day it was bright and sunny; rainbows filled the sky. Birds chirped out a happy tune from the branches as little woodland creatures pranced merrily around us.

    “As everyone emerged from their tents to witness this magical sight, a bright golden stream of glowing light began to weave its way around both the camp and us.  Faster and faster it spun till it began to lift everyone off the ground. It was so warm, so light. I spread my fingers and watched the glittering particles dance around each digit; it tickled.

   “Slowly we were lowered back down and people looked around in amazement. Our tattered clothes had been turned into the softest silk; our dilapidated dwellings transformed into brightly coloured Sheikh style tents.

     “Suddenly the air was full of music and I was so inspired I burst into song… Zip-a-dee…” Back in the blank room the shock has worn off and Amy realizes she may have said too much. To derail her narrative she begins to sing.

    “That’s quite enough of that thank you.” Detective Reyes shifts uncomfortably in his seat.

     “Are you sure? I’m told I’ve a lovely singing voice. It has been likened to an underpowered chainsaw as it tries to cut through metal.” Leaning back in her chair, Amy takes a deep breath. “Zi-“

     “Really, we’re fine,” Reyes quickly assures, leaning forward again.

     “Is there a point to your little side trip or do you just enjoy wasting our time? I would like to remind you that hindering a police investigation is a criminal offence and anything you say here can be later used against you in court,” Senior Detective Darling declares.

     “No it can’t. I am here as a material witness not as a suspect. You didn’t even mirandize me, so anything I say here is not worth squat. Hell-“

      “That’s America,” Senior Detective Darling cuts in.

        Amy’s brow wrinkles in confusion. “What?”

      “Americans mirandize people,” Darling clarifies.

    Deflating, Amy slumps back into her seat. After a moment’s thought, she springs back up. “Yeah, but I still don’t have to talk to you, legally I mean. You can’t force me to. Last time I was arrested Hooley Dooley said quite clearly: ‘You are not obliged to say or do anything unless you wish to do so, but whatever you say or do may be used in evidence.’ So far I haven’t said anything self-incriminating.”

     “That’s true but then it is in your best interest to talk to us. Don’t you want his killers off the streets?” Reyes asks to defuse the tension.

      “What I want? What I want is immunity.” Spreading her arms upon the cold table, Amy shifts her weight as to look straight at Reyes.

      “Immunity from what?” Darling asks although Amy’s question was directed at Reyes.

     “Immunity from my life. Let’s face it, life on the streets hasn’t been all rainbows and sunshine. I’ve had to do things that, well to put it nicely, have violated the terms of my parole. If you want the whole truth without the editing I want immunity for me, my sister and my – I can’t believe I am saying this- friends.”