Chapter 14

Sorry, I've kept you waiting...

Chapter 14

Hope tried to get out of bed one more time and a very unfriendly Nurse came in and threatened to strap her down. "We only want what's best for you Hope." Mike Codey said through clenched teeth.

"Michael Codey, you better quit that attitude. Like it or not, your daughter is no longer a little girl. She was bound to fall in love sooner or later." Casey Codey loved her husband, but he didn't do well with matters pertaining his daughter. She was busy glaring at him then decided it was time to take her husband home.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Hope was on her best behavior the rest of the night. Well, just until her parents left and visiting hours were over, she decided to take matters into her own hand. "They can't keep me away from you." She muttered as her eyes scanned around looking for supplies. She would need gauze and tape and.

"Well look who's got a determined gleam in her eyes." Nurse Baker's voice startled Hope upright. Once more the pain shot through her shoulder.

"Damn it all to hell. I'm going to kill that man if he isn't dead already." She muttered while trying to hold her arm still. Nurse Baker laughed and Hope shot her a dirty look.

"You're mad at your young man, love?" The nurse never took her eyes off the screen as she spoke. Hope didn't answer her and continued to mutter to herself. "People talk in this place. Especially when a Codey makes it in." That earned Hope a raised eyebrow as Nurse Baker finally turned her way.

"Codey's are not known for having patience. Not surprised to see you're the same way." Hope tried her best not to glare, the nurse was right. Her whole family did lack patience. "From what I hear, seems to me that strapping young man saved your life."

"I never said he didn't." She wiped at the tear forming and sniffed. "All I want is to see him. I need to know if he's ok." The tears fell freely once more and she tried very hard not to jump out of the bed again.

"Is that what all the fuss is about? Looks to me, like you were asking the wrong people." Nurse Baker turned to her computer and proceeded to type away. Hope felt the heaviness leave her chest. Could it be, would she take her to him? "Let's see here. What's your young man's name again?"

"Striker, his name is." It took Hope a few seconds to remember that Striker had been his alias and not his real name. "I'm sorry. Rocky Trevino, his name is Rocky Trevino." After more clicking Nurse Baker turned and faced her.

"Well now, looks like your young man is only one floor away." Hope practically jumped out of the bed before she was held down causing her to scream in pain. "Don't make me tie you down girl."

"Please, I need to go to him." Why couldn't they understand that she needed to see him?

"You hurt yourself again. If you keep this up, you'll pop those stitches." The nurse placed her face close to Hopes and she could swear there was steam leaving her nostrils as they flared. "Are you going to behave or not?" Defeated, she was starting to feel defeated and that didn't sit well with her. Wordlessly, she nodded acceptance and Nurse Baker went back to the screen.

"Looks like he sustained three bullet wounds. One to the arm, one to the leg and one. Well, the third one is what has him in ICU." Nurse Baker's words caused her stomach to turn. "Don't go getting sick now, he'll be alright."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

While Hope struggled with the realization of how hurt the love of her life was. The Codey's were preparing for the wrath of the patriarch back at the ranch.