Chapter Twelve - Rhysand

for being a lovely fan <3

Hello friends (: 

After Cassian had made a fool of himself, who quickly floated away to his room from embarrassment, we called it a night and went to bed. However, I couldn't sleep that easily and ended up lounging on the balcony with a glass of red wine. Maybe it was from laughing too much at Cassian that my stomach hurt, or maybe there was something else going on. I felt uneasy, more so than usual, and I couldn't help but worry about my mate's well-being.

My mate, who I've lost twice already, to the same good-for-nothing bastard.

I sighed, staring out at the night view of Velaris, squinting at the horizon of the mountains as if I could see past it, all the way to Spring Court. It's been how many weeks, and she was still there, continuously sacrificing herself for the safety of Prythian, for the safety of the world.

And here I was, drinking a glass of wine, warm and cozy. I took another sip when I felt a tinge of pain deep within me.

Feyre.

I had the urge to winnow to the Spring Court at that second, but I knew I couldn't. It pissed me off that I couldn't do anything about my mate who was breathing the same air as the King of Hybern. Was she found out? Did she get caught? Was she hurt?

I leaned against the rail and gulped the rest of my wine. I couldn't even talk to her mentally.

The pain from the bond wasn't disappearing, and it didn't seem like it would any time soon, so I continued to stay up. How could I sleep in this situation?

Every minute that passes ticked slowly. It wasn't until much later that I sensed a presence outside the borders of the Night Court.

❋❋❋

I materialized in the shadows of the trees as I saw three figures struggling to walk and caught the glint of red hair.

"What's Autumn doing he—" I stopped, staring past Lucien and looking into a pair of familiar violet eyes.

"Big brother?" A high pitch voice called out. My eyes bugged out from the voice that I would never forget in a million years. "Big Brother... Is that really you?"

"En.... Enfys?" I croaked out. There she was, my little sister who I faintly remembered.

"Big Brother!" The same voice called out, now in happiness instead of uncertainty. "It is you!" She continued in a softer voice, probably to her companions. "See, I told you he'd be here. Rhys is really bad at hide-and-seek." I snorted as I came out from behind the trees and walked toward the three figures—I was only bad at it because I'd let her win. But overshadowing my humor was my confusion. Enfys is dead. Or was, I corrected, as I came closer and saw those identical violet eyes peeking at me through the dark, and the wings, the materialization of which she couldn't yet control.

Enfys' companions—Lucien, and a stout female I didn't recognize—seemed weary, and yet Enfys, my beloved little sister, alive and whole, skipped up to me, her wings folding and unfolding.

"Big Brother," she began, her eyes shining slightly, "Is it true Daddy's dead? Mommy seems to think so." I blinked, still not caught up the current events. Mother was alive as well? I eyed my younger sister, full of uncertainty. The Cauldron wouldn't bless me with such good fortune. "Big Brother?" She prompted, and if Lucien and the stranger hadn't been there, I would have broken down in tears.

I sank down to my knees and clasped her tiny hands—hands that I have not clasped in over three centuries—and smiled sadly at my little sister.

"Hello, Small Bat."