Chapter Three - Feyre

** Please note that as we're writing this story, we're including our own predictions. Feel free to comment your opinion on it.  (:

It was possible to winnow about in the manor. I planned to use that to my advantage. When I was sure that no eyes trailed me, I winnowed whenever I could to practice. There was so much of the manor I hadn't yet explored, and I wondered why the person who I was back then was okay with that. I had yet to discover what dark secrets the Spring Court held.

Talons and wings itched to take form, but I willed them to disappear. If I were to get caught, I might as well be dooming the whole world.

To my surprise, Tamlin let me attend some of the meetings. I learned that Hybern and his forces would be arriving near the Spring and Summer Court border by the end of next week by ship. They'd take another week marching through Tamlin's territory before breaking down the wall to invade the human lands. Lucien had reported on the variety of soldiers in Hybern's army—high fae and hundreds of different species of lesser fae, including attor, puca, naga, and even bogge.

I'd sent Rhys a letter with the specifics later that night, and he sent the letter back with a request to join a Night Court meeting in three days. I would need to find a way to go through the cave that Mor had taken me through before to reach the Summer Court, where Rhys would be waiting to winnow me to my home, Velaris.

We could communicate mind to mind, but it was more difficult to send entire thoughts. After the bargain was destroyed, the path to send thoughts between us felt muddy. It was easier to sense the feeling of him. I preferred writing to him anyway.

Despite myself, I liked acting like a spy. With Tamlin busy and Lucien keeping his distance, I had space to myself—and it was good to have that space for once.

The last time I was here, I'd done everything they told me like an obedient pet—worn every dress, greeted every stranger, acted like the damsel they'd wanted me to be.

Rhys' words from a few months ago rang in my head.

You are no one's subject.

No, I was the High Lady of the Night Court. My mate's equal in every way. A title and status that Tamlin had once told me didn't exist. Bullshit.

Meanwhile, Ianthe was nowhere to be found.

"Still no information about the whereabouts of Ianthe?" I asked during dinner.

The meals at the Spring Court had started to blend together. I longed for the food I had at the restaurant back in Velaris with Rhys and his Inner Circle. My friends, my family. Laughing and eating under a starlit sky.

"No," Tamlin gruffed. "Well, yes. She's rumored to be in Hybern, but I have no confirmation on that." He side-eyed Lucien.

Lucien cleared his throat. "I'm working on it."

I wanted to throttle Lucien. His loyalty was going to get him killed one day. Stop being so stubborn and fight back. You deserve more.

I considered breaking into his mind to tell him that, but thought better of it. I didn't want to violate anyone's minds unless it was absolutely necessary, like the time with Tarquin. Lucien also already suspected me enough, and Tamlin might've done something I didn't let myself think about if Lucien snapped back.

"And. . ." I coughed pointedly. "About Calanmai. . ." Rhysand had sent back a letter warning me about how the Spring Court festival had not gone well this year. Once again, he told me to do what I needed to do, even though Calanmai was over, but I got the feeling that he didn't want Tamlin anywhere near touching me. Not that I wanted him to either. Frankly, these days, just him touching me on the shoulders or the hand had me struggling hard to conceal my revulsion.