chapter 3. Dr. Nice Guy

Lola was having the best sleep ever, and probably the best dream too. She was on a beach, laying on the sand in the sun with her head resting on someone's lap. A male someone.  She could feel the taught leg muscles and the leg hairs tickling her shoulders.

Whoever he was, she found the way he stroked her face and finger combed her hair so relaxing and tender.  When he moved his fingers towards her shoulders and began gently stroking up and down her arms she shuddered and sighed sitting up a bit higher and leaning back onto his firm chest while he began kissing down the back of her neck and his arms came up around her waist pulling her even closer to him. She looked down at his arms, they were tanned and strong and...wait is that a tat.. oh hell no! She woke with a start and sat up quickly, butting heads with a startled Stag who had been quietly playing candy crush on his phone. He smirked and quirked an eyebrow at her.

"Bad dream? " he asked.

"What? oh ah N-no." she replied.

She saw his brow furrow and he opened his mouth to speak right as the nurse called her name. saved by the bell she tought as she attempted to stand up on her good leg and hop over to the double doors.

The nurse rushed over with a wheel chair and Stag wheeled her through the doors and over to the empty cubicle where a second nurse stood holding a clipboard containing the forms Stag had filled out for her he must have given them back to the nurse while I was sleeping she thought. The nurse asked a few more questions regarding the incident that caused Lola's injury, then left them there alone explaining that the doctor would be along in a few minutes.

After a long moment of awkward silence Lola said "You don't have to stay, if you have to get back to work I mean."

Stag didn't really want to leave.  He wanted to know what she was dreaming about.  Looked to him like a bit of a sex dream, and the sounds she was making were giving him a semi, until she shouted oh hell no! and proceeded to headbutt him in the face.  Instead of asking about the dream though, he asked

"How will you get home?"

"I'll have to call my mother." she replied but he could tell she wasn't looking forward to making that call.  He was just about to talk when the doctor walked in.

"Hello I'm Doctor Joel Marcus. "

"Hello." they both replied at once. Weird.

Stag watched as the doctor examined Lola's ankle, gently touching the bruised section and rotating her foot while asking if it hurt when he moved it. He seemed like a nice guy, but Stag felt really weirdly jealous of him. The way he was touching her and she was biting her bottom lip and smiling at him and blushing like a school girl was sending Stag into a rage.  He decided to step out of the cubicle for the rest of the examination before he lost his shit and punched something... or someone.  This was really new for him, he had never met anyone like her before who got so under his skin so instantly and made him feel so possessive.  If was kind of freaking him out.

Back in the cubicle, Doctor Joel was telling Lola that he didn't think the ankle was broken but that she had definitely torn a ligament,  but just to be sure he was going to send her for an xray.  Lola was listening intently, but her mind kept straying to the way Stag huffed angrily before he stomped out of the cubicle in a strop. What was his problem anyway.

She had obviously zoned out because Dr. Spunk was looking at her expectantly as if he had just asked her a question.  Pay attention egg head!  He smiled at her showing perfecly straight, white teeth and a pair of adorable dimples, as she realized that he was still waiting for an answer to a question she hadn't even heard. 

"Sorry doc I zoned out a bit there, haven't been sleeping well lately and I'm in quite a bit of pain here. Can you repeat the question?"

He chuckled and she took the time to look at him properly. He was tall and slim with sandy blonde hair a clean shaven face and big blue eyes that made him look like a giant sized little kid.  He was good looking and had a calm air about him, and she noticed that he was now staring right at her, studying her eyes as she was blatantly checking him out. Wait, had she missed the question again?

"I said, I'm going to prescribe some pain medication,  but it may make you a little loopy. Is your boyfriend going to be able to stay with you tonight and help you out or do you have someone else you can call?" he repeated with the cute little boy smile still plastered on his face.

"Oh uh he's not my boyfriend,  we just met." She blushed furiously and his smile grew wider.

"It's fine I'll stay with her!" called a gruff voice from just outside the curtain. Eh? she thought he'd left.

"Well here's your xray form go get that done now, I'll phone down to them and let them know you're on your way over. If there is a break or a fracture they will send you back here to me but if, as I suspect it is not broken,) you can go home take two of these, and keep off that ankle." he handed her the box of pain pills.

"Oh, do you need a certificate for work? You'll probably need a few days off cause of the pills but after that, as long as you can work sitting down or using crutches you should be fine. And I'll need to see you again in about two days."

"Yes please. Where do I get crutches from?" Lola enquired.

"I'll get the nurse to bring you some.. Oh and here's my card, if you need anything or have any questions, give me a call  anytime.  I've put my personal number on the back."  He winked then left the cubical and a very stunned Lola. He seems nice she thought. Her mother would just about die of happiness if she brought home someone like Dr Joel. She was always trying to get her and Alex (the banker) back together again.  Her theory was that Lola couldn't afford to be picky and that she could've tried harder to be how he wanted her to be.  After all he had a good steady job, didn't do drugs or drink, and he dressed well. Even if he was a tubby, balding, asshole who barely gave her the time of day unless he was horny!  She had tried telling her mother that but all she did was tell her off for being so vulgar and continue on about how Lola should act more like her sister Rosie.

Two years older than Lola's 29 years, Rosie got all the good genes. She was taller, thinner, prettier and a total sweetheart, who would bend over backwards to make sure everyone around her was happy. She was also married by the age of 20 and had her first of three children by 22. Lola loved her sister very much, but absolutely hated being compared to her all the time as they were kind of polar opposites.   She wouldn't have to worry about all of that though if she had a nice, gentle speaking, pleasant looking doctor as a boyfriend.

She had zoned out again, because the nurse had already come and left the crutches for her and Stag was back in the room waving a hand in front of her face to get her attention so they could leave and get the x ray.

A/N: Next chapter is where the shenanigans begin... I don't want to give too much away, but Jamie comes back into the story... and Lola's mother.. and Stag... and pain pills oooh fun! I'm a bit down hearted I only got a few reads last chapter because I don't know how to share the story (I tried but it didn't work):( If anyone is still reading by now can you please comment and let me know what you think and if you know how to share the story using an android phone please pm me and tell me how. Thanks in advance :)