Reality Bites: Chapter 18

JOE’S POV

I texted her again hoping she would answer. She had yet to respond to any form of communication. I had called her, texted her, even visited David’s apartment. David and Chelsea told me that Nicole had already left to go somewhere. She just disappeared at the dance, and now I couldn’t find her anywhere. This couldn’t be good.  I sat in my car hoping that maybe just maybe she would text me back. I tried calling her cell phone one more time only to get her voicemail. I groaned before getting out of the car and heading into the house. Maybe Nick and Kevin could help me look for her.

“Joey Bear!” Nicole called out affectionately from her spot on the living room couch. She was here that whole time?!? “You finally got home!”

“I tried calling you,” I stuttered out. “Why didn’t you pick up?”

“Oh, my phone must have died,” she said happily. Her phone chimed in her pocket forcing her to blush. She quickly read the message and replied. “Or not. Oh well. These phones are so confusing.” What on Earth was going on here?

“How long have you been here? What are you doing here?”

“I came to spend the whole day with my boyfriend.” Nicole jumped up from the couch and hugged me tight. “I’m glad you’re finally back Joey Bear.”

“Why are you calling my Joey Bear?”

“I decided you need a nickname,” Nicole said pulling away with a cheesy smile. “I’m hungry. Make me a sandwich please? Oh and a cup of green tea with honey.” Nicole pushed me towards the kitchen.

“Nicole, you know I don’t cook,” I said protesting. “Can we just talk for a second?”

“You’ll make me a sandwich because you owe me after last night. You left me all alone at the dance,” Nicole pouted.

“What? You’re the one who disappeared.”

“Now, why would I do that Joe?” Nicole asked smiling sweetly before shoving me into the kitchen. I stumbled before coming face to face with Kevin and Selena flirting as they put away groceries.

“Hey Joe,” Selena said. “Did you run into Nicole?”

“You two are together?” I asked still shocked by Nicole’s behavior.

“Yup,” Kevin said plunking down sandwich ingredients in front of me. “Hands off. Here is everything you need to make Nicole’s sandwich.”

“How did you know?”

“Just a hunch,” Kevin replied before grabbing Selena’s hand and pulling her out to the backyard. I sighed and began to fix Nicole’s sandwich. Once it was ready I carried it out on a plate to her. I had made the sandwich mainly because I felt guilty about the night before.

“Thanks sweetie,” Nicole said taking the plate from me. She frowned at the sandwich.

“What?” I asked. “What’s wrong?”

“This is wheat bread. I wanted white bread.”

“Why didn’t you say that before I started making it?”

“I thought you would just know Joe. You’re my boyfriend right? You should know all of my likes and dislikes already right?”

“So I should go make you a new sandwich?”

“No, I’m not hungry anymore. Oh, I have an idea. Let’s give you a makeover!” What was wrong with her today? “We can totally redo your hair!”

“No!” I shouted out angrily. “I like my hair how it is.”

“You owe me Joe,” Nicole said looking me hard in the eyes. Did she see Demi and I kiss last night? “Let me give you a makeover.” Minutes later I found myself in the bathroom I shared with my brothers as Nicole squirted goo into my hair.

“Are you sure this will just put highlights in my hair?” I asked nervously.

“Subtle highlights. You trust me right, Joe?”

“Of course. You’ve always been truthful with me Nicole.”

“Just like you always have been truthful with me,” Nicole said softly. “Sit here for thirty minutes and then you can take a shower to rinse it out.” I smiled weakly as she walked out of the bathroom. I stood up and studied my hair, but it just looked black. Maybe I was worrying for nothing. I hoped.

[AN: Oh poor, naïve Joe.]