Reality Bites: Chapter 1

[AN: If you haven’t read In Real Life you are going to be confused immediately. Go back and read it and then start this!]

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER

NICOLE’S POV

“Is this weird?” Joe asked. “Being on a date with your brother?”

“Please stop asking that,” I said with a sigh. “I’m having fun, really! Everything is perfect. You took me to my favorite restaurant.”

“I had to ask Demi where to take you,” Joe admitted with a sheepish grin. “She said that it was your favorite.” Joe had to ask my best friend what my favorite restaurant was? I thought he would have known given all the years we lived together. Nick wouldn’t have had to ask anyone where to take me. I looked over at Joe and felt instantly guilty for thinking about Nick. I was here with Joe; not Nick. Joe had always been my protector. I needed to see him outside the big brother role. I had lost my chance with Nick, but I couldn’t lose Joe. Joe might be just what I needed to heal my heart.

“Demi was right,” I said. “But I would love anywhere that you took me.” I reached over and stroked his hand with my own. Joe and I had been dating for months now. It was a little awkward since we used to be brother and sister, but we were making it work. “I’m glad you two are talking more.”

“Me too,” Joe replied with a wistful smile. Everyone had reacted to my relationship with Joe differently. Demi had become quiet and withdrawn. She had assured me that it was just weird seeing us go from brother and sister to boyfriend and girlfriend. Nick just acted nervous around me. Did he know that Joe had told me about his relationship with Demi? I still couldn’t figure out why the two of them continued to keep it a secret. It was almost as infuriating as watching Kevin and Selena. Whenever the other one wasn’t looking they would watch one another. As if they were both searching for some look or expression. Joe looked down at his watch. “I should get you home. David was really upset when I got you home late last time.”

“It was one minute.”

“Yeah. And he threatened to string me up. I don’t even know what that means, and I’m scared.” I laughed as Joe led me out to his car. I still lived with David and Chelsea. The Jonas’ were my family, but I couldn’t stand the thought of leaving David. He was my flesh and blood brother. So as long as he’ll have me I’ll stay in the guest room at his apartment. It’s nice having Chelsea around too. It’s like having a sister which is nice after living with all brothers. I stayed silent for the car ride as Joe chatted aimlessly about this and that. He was currently telling a story about Demi practicing to get her driver’s license. Joe had been teaching her how to drive in his car. When we finally pulled up to my apartment complex Joe leaned over and kissed me on the cheek before I hopped from the car. I felt his eyes watching me as I strode to the apartment door.

“I’m home,” I called out setting my keys on the end table by the door. “Anyone here?”

“Hey Nicole,” Chelsea said walking into the living room. “David’s working late. How was your date?”

“It was great,” I said sitting on the couch. Chelsea sat down next to me. “Joe took me to my favorite restaurant.

“See?” Chelsea said nudging me with her elbow. “Joe knows what you like.” I had confided in Chelsea a few weeks back that Joe didn’t seem to know anything about me. I had been upset when he had bought me a present to celebrate our three month anniversary. It was a charm bracelet with my birthstone. Well, it was supposed to be my birthstone, but he had mixed my birthday up with Demi’s. I had simply smiled and pretended that I wasn’t staring at Demi’s birthstone hanging from the bracelet.

“He asked Demi where to take me,” I confessed. Chelsea slumped onto my shoulder with a frown.

“You like Joe right? He’s the one?” My thoughts drifted to Nick, but I knew he didn’t feel that way about me. Because that’s what Joe had told me, and Joe has never lied to me my entire life.

“Joe’s the one,” I said with fake bravado.

“I know you said it, but for some reason I just don’t believe you,” Chelsea said softly. I didn’t respond to her words knowing she was right. The words felt like a lie in my mouth because they were. Joe wasn’t the one, but the one I wanted didn’t want me.

[AN: I hope you like it! Now I’m off to bed!]