Reality Bites: Chapter 7

DAVID’S POV

I heard the front door slam open and then closed, but Nicole didn’t call out her usually greeting. I just knew that something had to be wrong. I looked over at Chelsea who just shrugged. I did my best to telepathically suggest she go talk to Nicole. I had a feeling that whatever was upsetting her had something to do with Joe, and I wasn’t prepared to have that conversation. This big brother stuff was still new to me.

“Suck it up honey,” Chelsea said flipping through the pages of a magazine. “Go and talk to your sister.”

“But what if it’s about boys?” I asked. I saw her mouth tilt up as she snickered at me.

“You’re a boy. Start with that.” I sighed and got up walking to Nicole’s bedroom knocking softly before walking in. Nicole laid spread eagled on her bed.

“Nicole, is everything okay?” I asked nervously.

“I’m fine David,” Nicole said softly. I was tempted to walk out of the room, but I knew Chelsea would just send me back in.

“You’re not fine. What’s going on?” I asked sitting down on the bed. She sat up and crawled until she was sitting next to me. “Tell me pretty please?”

“Joe had a fight with Demi. Demi said they weren’t going to be friends anymore. Nick is dating Demi, but they haven’t told anyone. Nick was with Selena when he’s supposed to be with Demi. Joe won’t talk to me. And I think I’m most upset that Nick seems to want everyone but me,” she said in a quick rush.

“Hold on a second,” I said softly. “That’s a lot all at once. Let’s focus on one thing at a time. What is bothering you the most?”

“I already lost my chance with Nick, and now I think I might be losing Joe. Am I just not deserving of love or something?”

“Love isn’t something you do or do not deserve. It’s a gift given from one person to another.”

“Have you been watching Hallmark movies or something lately?” [AN: I actually got that last thought from a Hallmark movie. XD]

“Just listen. All you can do is let the people you love know how you feel. And if you’re lucky they’ll love you back. And if you’re still upset I’ll beat them up for you okay?” Nicole smiled and hugged me tight. Maybe this big brother thing wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. “Are you going to be okay?”

“Yeah,” Nicole said pulling away. “Thanks bro.” I smiled as I made my way out of her room. That was the first time she had ever called me bro to my face. I walked out until I made it back out to where Chelsea sat.

CHELSEA’S POV

I waited until David sat down on the couch before I pulled myself onto his lap. I kissed him hard as he struggled to hold onto me. I loved this man so much.

“What was that for?” David asked.

“I might have been listening at the door,” I admitted. “You did a great job. I never knew you were so deep.”

“How did I get so lucky,” David asked with a wide smile. I leaned in and kissed him again. Things started to get particularly heated until someone interrupted us.

“Geez guys,” Nicole said. “You have a room. Use it please!” David and I pulled away with a shared chuckle.

“How about we all go out for dinner tonight?” I suggested earning agreements from both David and Nicole. We all gathered our jackets and headed out the door to a restaurant nearby. I smiled as David and Nicole walked ahead of me bickering like siblings always do. I looked down at my engagement ring as it sparkled in the evening sun. I couldn’t wait to become a permanent part of this family.

[AN: Such a happy go lucky chapter. Enjoy!]