15. Close Call

I open my eyes, while yawning, and sit up in bed. Swinging my legs over the side, I place my feet on the cold stone floor, while a shiver goes up my spine.

Aria is already gone, probably trying to figure out more about this whole situation... She seemed determined to figure it out, or at least work it out in our favor.

Namia enters the room, and she tells me, "You need to bathe Princess, today's important."

I raise my eyebrows, "What's so important?" I ask.

She just shakes her head, and avoids my gaze. Obviously hiding something. Namia isn't the best at keeping secrets, but for once she's actually trying. It really must be important.

Before my curiosity can get the best of me, I take off my robes and get into the steaming bath tub. Oils and soaps fill the tub, giving the entire bathroom a floral scent.

I wash my hair, and sit in the tub until my fingers and toes turn to wrinkles, and Namia forces me out. While she hands me a soft towel, she starts to say something, but stops herself, and turns around.

"Namia, please just tell me what's going on." I say finally, the suspense making me anxious.

"I-" she starts, before the door to the bathroom opens.

Aria walks in, her eyes puffy and red. She's been crying, her tears streaking her face. She runs to me, and wraps her arms around me, squeezing me tightly. Her sobs are muffled by my shoulder, but she takes a deep breath before stopping.

Once again, she pulls me in tight, then whispers in my ear, "Run."

I pull back surprised, nothing else, just run? No one will tell me what's going on, but it's obviously bad.

"What's going on?" I ask again, anger seeping into my voice.

"There's no time, just leave, please." Aria begs, before she starts sobbing again.

"I need to know before-"

"She's right (Y/N)... I can pack a bag so you can leave, but really all you have time for is to get changed and take that sword of yours." Namia interrupts me.

I'm surprised that she, such a stickler for rules and etiquette, would suggest that. And offer to help no less. Regardless, I have to know..

I get dressed quickly, pulling on a pair of pants and a (f/c) shirt. I slip on my shoes, and put my sword in a sheath on my back.

Before I start running, Aria hands me a letter, "Don't read it until you're on the next ship out of here." she says, as I give her a long embrace, not knowing the next time I'll see her, or what the whole point of this is anyways.

Next person I embrace is Namia, whose trembling, with silent tears falling from her large brown eyes.

"(Y/N), I always thought I'd serve you until death.. I never thought it'd end like this." she laughs slightly, "But I'd rather you have this chance."

I don't pretend to understand what she means, as I tell her, "I'm sure I'll see you again."

With that, I step out of the room into the open hallway. I run down the corridor, towards the back door that leads to the pier.

"Excuse me your highness, the Queen instructed us to-" a guard starts, blocking off the door.

"Sorry, I'm just getting some fresh air." I smile, praying he'll let me through.

"Well... I could get in big-"

"Thanks!" I grin, pushing past him, then bolting.

I finally make it to the dock, out of breath, and tired. I see a group of burly men loading crates onto a ship, and when they're not looking, I sneak onboard, hiding beside a stack of barrels in the ships storage hull.

I sit quietly, as more men come and go, carrying cargo. I didnt bother finding out where they were going, if leaving is as urgent as everyone made is seem, it doesn't matter.

I wait to move, until I hear the ship lurch from its position, slowly leaving the port. Letting out a sigh of relief, I lean my back against a large wooden crate, labeled as spices.

Then someone steps into the storage room, and I don't dare even to breathe, as I hear their footsteps getting closer to where I'm hidden.

I hear a hugged voice muttering, then suddenly kicking a box. I jump, and cover my mouth from gasping. Since I can't see the person, I'm vulnerable to anything and everything they might do.

When the voice gets even closer to me, I can actually hear what their saying.

"What the hell do I do now..." They mutter.

The voice sounds like a mans, but I can't distinguish anything other than that just by their voice.

Then, the stack of crates beside me begins to topple over, I'm assuming he punched or kicked them again. As they begin to fall on my I curse under my breath, knowing I'll be discovered. The crates and barrels land squarely on my head, causing my head to explodes with pain.

As someone begins to remove the clutter, I quickly think through my options. They're limited to running or being caught, so I decide to try and run. Though on a ship in the ocean, running could end badly.. but I do have my Djinn if I need to get away. Running really is my best option.

When the person lifts the next box, I take my chances and spring up running past them. I think I'm out, but then a hand grabs my wrist pulling me back.

As I turn around to face the person, my jaw drops, "It's you."

A/N: Sorry for the cliffhanger 😅 but, I'll update tomorrow.
Happy holidays! ❤️