14. Zero Sum Game

Aria and I sit alone in the library, as I watch her pour over a adventure novel, one depicting none other than Sinbad. It's a story I'll admit to reading more than once myself. A biography larger than life, to the point of sounding like fiction.

"Aria," I start, breaking her concentration from the story, "What do you know about a Prince Eren of Edindrae?"

I'm sure that Aria, who is a surprising social butterfly, should have some knowledge on the subject. She has a wide range of information, mostly based off of rumors and royal gossip, which can sometimes be of use.

"Let's see.. He's next to take the throne, and last I heard he was searching for a wife. Something about him needing a bride to take the throne... I don't quite remember all of the story, to be honest, I wasn't interested too much because Edindrae is far away from here. Although, we are close trading partners with them, and I also vaguely recall a bond forged between our countries long ago, though I don't think it has any bearings anymore, because-"

She continues to run her mouth, as I think over this new puzzle piece.  Perhaps, he planned on marrying me to take the throne? Is that why mother asked me about him? Then again, she wouldn't care my opinion, she would just marry me off, so maybe there's something more to it. On the other hand, she acted strangely when we spoke.

"(Y/N)?" Aria asks, breaking my trance.

"Hmm?" I respond, trying to remember what she was just saying.

"You'll be staying for the party tonight correct?" she asks, flipping through her story once again.

"Of course." I grin, grateful for a distraction.

•••

I spin around in circles until I'm dizzy, the music drilling itself into my brain, which is currently short circuiting. Leaving me to rely on instincts to keep on rhythm. Eventually growing tired, I leave the ballroom floor, I glance up to my mother, whose looking down on everyone from her throne.

Then I see him.

Standing with perfected posture, and speaking with her is Prince Eren.

"That's him isn't it?" I hear Aria ask from beside me, "Prince Eren? The one you asked about earlier?"

I nod. While watching them talk to each other.

"Why is he here (Y/N)?" she asks, snaking her arm around mine.

"That's what I'm trying to figure out." I tell her, glancing down to look at her. Her blonde hair is in a braid which falls down her shoulder, and she still wears the same gown as earlier today, obviously not caring for yet another mundane party.

"In that case leave it to me," she grins, her (e/c) eyes meeting my own, "Seeing as how you have poor people skills, I'm the obvious solution. I bet I can figure it out before the nights over, all it takes is a little bit of gossiping to get the job done."

And with that she skips away, immersing herself in a crowd of doting lords and ladies.

I stand uncertain, still watching Prince Eren and my Mother. They move with familiarity and talk to each other engagingly. I find myself dying to know what, or who, they're talking about.

When my stare is met with Eren's, he winks at me, as an attempt to seem flirtatious. A for effort Prince.

•••

I comb through my hair, wincing as I tug through the many tangles. Suddenly, my door starts to creak open, as a sad looking Aria emerges.

She closes the door behind her, and silently walks over to my bed, where she falls backwards onto it. The bed creaks as it catches her weight, and she bounces slightly. She still doesn't say a word, as she turns to me with wide eyes.

"What's wrong?" I ask her worriedly. Aria isn't usually one to be so eerily quiet.

"I found out why he's here," she explains, "the Prince."

"Oh... And?" I ask, trying to mask my excitement.

"It's complicated (Y/N), and I don't quite understand it all... But all I know for sure is he's going to marry one of us. And he's hoping for you. However, Mother is holding back. Like I said, I don't understand."

The comb drops from my hand, as I feel a lump forming in my throat. I want to yell in anger, and cry at the same time. Knowing that our futures are being decided behind our backs, yet we can't do anything about it.

"Our whole lives we've been groomed for this, but I never thought It'd bother me so much." Aria laughs flatly, "I really thought I wouldn't care about it, after all you tell yourself all the time it's going to happen. But when it does and you realize you truly have no say..."

I nod, knowing exactly what she means.

"If he marries me, I'll leave Tenrou, and have to live in Edindrae, then you'd be queen. But if he marries you, you won't be with Sinbad, and then I'd become the Queen of Tenrou." she says quietly.

"It's a loose loose situation, for both of us." I tell her, laying down on the bed next to her.

"You should run." she sighs.

I look over to her, and see that she's serious, "And what about you?" I ask.

"Then I'd be able to stay here and take the throne, and then I could choose who I marry."

"We could both run-" I start, hoping she'll except, rather than sacrifice herself.

Shaking her head, she tells me, "I couldn't, I'm not like you (Y/N)."

"We shouldn't make any rash decisions tonight." I yawn, staring out of the moonlit window, "Waiting to see how it plays out is a safer bet."

"As long as you don't wait too long."

I don't think I could leave Aria alone here. Though it's not bad in Tenrou, it's too much responsibility for her, and she doesn't quite know what she's giving up. Also, if I were to run, I would have to be in hiding at least until Aria took the throne, because Mother would have people searching for me, trying to bring me back.

I shake the thought away, as my breathing stabilizes, and sleep takes over my body.

A/N: Updates will be going slower from now on 🙁. I'm thinking every three days instead of every two, also I'm thinking about turning this into two books. As usual, comment what you think ❤️