Chapter 3 Out with the old-in with the new

I woke up  a bit confused then remembered last night, Dwight, and why I was so tired still, glancing at the clock seeing it was ten in the morning.  I remembered Alec  had left a note not to wake me today so I undressed, showered letting the water run until the shower got cold. I dried, put on clean jeans, a nice dark blue western shirt, my boots and left my hair down. Grabbed my laptop then headed down to the front desk seeing  Carrie showing Darla something on the computer. I smiled saying good morning to both as they said morning then Carrie handed me an envelope with my name on it making me raise an eye brow. " Mr. Garnett left it for you boss, said to give it to you as soon as I saw you today."

I sighed thinking this was it, the worst thing running through my head when Carrie nudge me " Boss, go get some coffee and food, you seem to be drifting today, you okay?" I smiled answering " Yes I'm good Carrie thank you, and please  when I get back let me know where we are with  the training okay?" She smirked nodding as Darla said " I think this will be fun Ms. Young  and you need time away now and then right?" I sighed " So everyone keeps saying Darla." She chuckled as I said bye heading to the dining room. Charlie came up hugging me saying thanks for everything and he'd see me next year as I smiled telling him  he is more than welcome back. His parents smiled saying thanks then they left grabbing suitcases on the way out the door. Slowly this group was leaving today, the maids  cleaning each suite or room preparing for the new guests coming in tonight or tomorrow morning.

Grabbing coffee, some eggs and sausage, hash browns then some fruit, I sat down by the windows looking out for what I figure is the last time. I glanced at the envelope dreading what might be inside knowing I can't avoid whatever he has written to me, I was going to have to face destiny head on. I finished my breakfast walking out just as Dwight came towards me nodding as I said " Morning sir, how's your day today?" He tilted his head then noticed the unopened  envelope saying " Good  so far Ms. Young, may I ask you to sit with me for a moment? " I turned looking at Carrie and Darla working, turned  back  saying " I really need to.. " He cut me off whispering " Just a short moment please, I know you  have work to do Kandi and in all honesty only you can remove a tremendous amount of guilt I'm carrying right now." I looked right into his eyes saying  " This never seems to end well with us but alright sir." He led  me to a table in the back of the dining room away from everyone as we both sat down he said " Haven't opened it yet I noticed." I shook my head no saying " In truth, not sure if I should sir, I've already come to the conclusion my time here is now limited why read what I already know." I was looking down when he gently lifted my chin to look into his deep blue eyes sighing " Kandi, you think the best of  everyone else why then think the worst of me?"  I sighed as he didn't let go just gently ran his thumb across my cheek bone then softly across my lips making me take a quick breathe. I softly said " I don't think the worst of you, I think, you as a business man have a duty to report  any doubts of my abilities as you said last night."

Dwight shook his head softly saying " I misjudged your actions yesterday Kandi, I know you don't want to hear why I did it, so I ask you open that, read it, then tell me your thoughts, it's all I ask from you right now." I watched him as he sat back against the chair nodding to the envelope so I sighed and opened it, noticing the letterhead of this lodge then unfolded the paper to read:

Kandi,

I  sincerely ask you again for forgiveness as I jumped to the wrong conclusions last night. What I did or said has nothing to do with your job performance here at the ranch, it is a personal reason from me. You have done this lodge and ranch proud, making it grow financially and in reputation,  and  I'm deeply honored to have you here watching over everything.  All the hands,wranglers and employees that have been here either for a short time or for seven years seem to respect you, care about you, you treat them all as an equal while still maintaining your authority to have them do their jobs as I have talked to every one of them.  I see you here for many years to come or until you decide to move on to other things in your life. Never have I seen such admiration for a boss like I do for you after talking with each and every employee here.  Your own horse protects you, so amazing to see that last night by Thunder.