nine

"I'm sorry, Jake

"I'm sorry, Jake." Fiona said as the group stood on the beach. "What do we do now?"

"Is this any sign of Barron and Miss Peregrine?" Jake asked.
"Gone. Barron must've had a boat." Olive replied.

Arabella looked down at the sand. What are we supposed to do now?

"Well, we have to go after them." Jake said. "We know he's taking her to Blackpool."

"How exactly are we gonna go after them?" Arabella questioned.
Millard nodded in agreement. "The next ferry doesn't go for hours. We'll never make it in time."

Everyone looked at Jake for an answer.
"Not unless we go by boat too."

Arabella looked at Enoch and shared a confused expression with him.

***

Once the children were inside the ship with air bubbles on their heads, Emma began to blow the water out of the ship.

The water had soon gone, and everyone was able to breath normally again. Once Arabella had brushed all of her wet hair out of her face, she felt someone tap her on the shoulder. She turned around to see Enoch.

"Help me steer the ship." He said.
Arabella paused for a moment before nodding.

It took the two a while to find the front of the ship, but when they did, the rest of the children were in there.

The ship began to rise, making the children stumble. Soon enough, the group were forcefully pressed against the wall.

Some of the children, such as Bronwyn, Hugh, Arabella, Enoch, Jake and the twins, were able to push themselves off the wall. The twins, Hugh and Bronwyn held onto a pane in front of the window, whilst Enoch, Jake and Arabella held onto the wheel.

They all watched as the ship rose closer and closer to the surface, until it finally shot out. The ship harshly landed against the water, making everyone stumble. Claire fell, and Enoch didn't hesitate to help her up.

Enoch lifted Claire up to see the ocean just as Emma and Olive ran in. Arabella stood by Jake. She turned to him. "What next?"

"Everyone follow me!" Jake said, walking out of the room.

Arabella followed behind Fiona, but she was held back by someone. She turned around to see Enoch.

"What is it?" She asked.
"Do you still want to talk?"
Arabella nodded. "I don't think now is the best time-"

Enoch shook his head. "I want to talk now."
Arabella scoffed. "Okay..."

Enoch exhaled. "I am really sorry about what I said. It wasn't you. It was Jake."
"Oh, but it was me." Arabella replied. "Because you clearly didn't want that to happen."

Enoch didn't answer.

Arabella rolled her eyes. "Look, you wanted to talk, so talk."

Enoch sighed and shoved his hands in his pockets. "I've never been the nicest to you, throughout the years we've spent together. The thought of you and me..." Enoch shook his head. "I hated it. But everyone knows that you're lonely and we can all see that you're hurt. You need someone, and I'm sorry that I was nothing but rude to you."

The two stood there in silence for a moment, because Arabella didn't know what to say.

She sighed, and then finally spoke. "Emma's been telling me this entire time that I am lonely, I am hurt and that I need someone. Whenever she brung it up, I wouldn't listen. But truthfully, I knew she was right. I just never showed it - like I never showed any forms of emotion. I just feel so empty and-"

"Don't," Enoch cut her off. "you shouldn't feel empty. We all care about you and we all love you - including me."

Arabella shook her head. "I know you all do. But Emma's been referring to a different kind of love."

Enoch's eyes locked with hers. "I know that I've never come to appreciate you, but ever since Jake came here, I've opened my eyes."

Arabella furrowed her brows and Enoch took his hands out of his pockets. "I think..." He trailed off when his hand moved to Arabella's cheek.

Arabella nervously bit her lip. This is what Horace dreamt about.

Here they both were. Enoch told her the night that they saw the dream that he'd do everything to stop it from happening.

Enoch slowly leaned closer as Arabella stood there, frozen in place. She watched as he kept coming closer.

Arabella wanted to step back, but she couldn't. She wanted this.

"I knew it!" The two heard someone announce. "Just as I dreamt!" Horace grinned.

Enoch took his hand away Arabella's cheek and shoved it in his pocket.

Arabella's jaw dropped. She couldn't believe they witnessed that.

"I can't believe it. The two most cold hearted people are in love!" Olive clapped her hands together and grinned.

"Love!" Bronwyn repeated. "Love! Love! Love!"
"Oh my gosh..." Arabella mumbled. She could feel her cheeks burning up.

Arabella saw Emma stood behind the children, beside Jake, with a smile on her face. "I told you." She mouthed.

"Let's get moving." Arabella said, sternly.
"Someone's embarrassed." Horace remarked.
"Shut up, Horace." Enoch spat.

Jake laughed. "Wow."
Enoch shot him a glare and Jake innocently threw his arms in the air. "Okay, okay! Let's go!"