seven

"Enoch-" Arabella said, running into his room with her suitcase by her side

He was collecting jars from one of his shelves. After he picked up three and stacked them on top of each-other, he turned around.

His facial expression softened when he saw her.

"Enoch, I - uh, w-we should talk." Arabella stammered.
"I don't think now is really the time." Enoch said, walking up to her.

Arabella made sure Enoch couldn't get past her. Enoch rolled his eyes. "Move, Arabella."

"You wanted to talk earlier, and I said no. Now that I actually want to, you're saying no?" Arabella raised an eyebrow.

Arabella could see that Enoch was getting frustrated.
"How about we talk when we're not in a rush to get out of this house before it gets bombed?" Enoch suggested.

Arabella sighed and nodded. "Fine."
With that, she stepped out of the way and let Enoch pass.

She followed him down the hallway and they both ran down the stairs to add the pile of luggage.

As they both began to run back upstairs with Fiona, Olive, the twins and Claire, the doorbell rang.

They all froze and turned to the door.

"Miss Peregrine! What a pleasure to meet you at last!" Barron greeted, with his blade at Jake's neck.

Arabella covered her mouth with her hands, to conceal her gasps.

"May we come in?"
Miss Peregrine stepped out of the way so Barron and Jake could enter the house.

"Children! Would you make your way down the stairs, please?" Barron grinned.

The children were about to move, but Miss Peregrine stopped them. "I give the orders in this house, Mr Barron."

"Not today. You should know that Jake has served his purpose. If you value his life, I suggest everyone does as they're told." Barron hissed. "Children!"

Miss Peregrine harshly shushed Barron. "No one tells my children what to do!"

She then calmly turned around to face her children. "Children, come down here, please."

Arabella waited until another child moved before she did. Soon enough, they were all stood at the bottom of the stairs in silence.

"Miss Peregrine, I-"
"I thought I told you to be quiet!" Miss Peregrine hissed at Barron, cutting him off. "Children, for Jake's safety, we're going to do what Mr Barron asks. He wishes to take me with him to his rendezvous in Blackpool. So for his protection, he'd like me to resume bird form - preferably caged. He'd like you to make your way into a lockable room such as the parlour."

Miss Peregrine slowly turned around to face Barron. "As he won't believe Jake if he fears an attack could be mounted upon him once he looses his leverage. Correct, Mr Barron?"

Barron struggled on what to respond with.

"You're sacrificing yourself and all of us... for Jake?" Enoch questioned.

"Mr Barron travels with a Hollow, Enoch. Once it arrives here, we're all dead." She lowered her voice a little, hoping that the younger children wouldn't hear.

However, Arabella knew that everyone knew what was going to happen.

"Enoch, only Jake can see them." Arabella whispered.
Horace nodded. "That means he's our only hope."

Miss Peregrine lead the children to the door of the parlour, and they individually said goodbye.

When it was Arabella's turn, she leant closer to Miss Peregrine. "I can kill them." She whispered into her ear. "I can kill Barron and his Hollows and we'll all be safe."

Miss Peregrine sighed as Arabella straightened herself up. She shook her head. "You can't risk it, Arabella."

Arabella looked down her shoes before back up at Miss Peregrine. "I guess this is goodbye then." She said, her voice cracking.

Arabella swallowed the lump in the back of her throat and tried to stop herself from crying.

To Arabella's surprise, Miss Peregrine pulled her into a tight, warm hug. At first, Arabella's eyes widened. She wasn't used to anything like this.

But the warmth of the hug made her smile. Luckily, no one apart from Jake could see that she was smiling.

Enoch and Emma watched in shock as Arabella hugged Miss Peregrine back.
Emma smiled to herself; Arabella didn't back away from the hug.

"Don't say that, dear. You'll see me again soon." Miss Peregrine replied.

Arabella softly smiled before joining everyone in the parlour.

"It's been my privilege to care for you." Miss Peregrine said as she stood in the doorway. Tears streamed down her face, and Arabella wanted so desperately to hug her again.

"Goodbye, my children." She said, before slowly shutting the doors.