Chapter Thirteen: Emily Prentiss

“We have another body” JJ reported. Emily didn't want to know what the message said, but JJ wrote it on the board anyway. I HAVE MORGAN XO CL. She had known, deep down, basically what it would say, and it didn't really surprise her. She just hoped that the new kidnapping didn't mean that Spencer . . . that anything had happened to him.

“Have you seen Hotch this morning?” asked Rossi, coming into the briefing room. Emily shook her head.

“I'll check it out” said JJ.

“Not alone, I hope” Emily said.

“I'll take some uniforms” JJ replied, and then she left.

“Emily. How are you holding up?” asked Rossi, sitting down next to her.

She looked away. “Fine.”

“Are you sure?”

She was silent for a moment. “What if he gets all of us?” she asked. “What if Spencer and Morgan are . . .” she trailed off, not wanting to finish the thought.

“Find the unsub, Emily. I know you can. If anyone can-” The phone rang. Emily picked it up, but before she could even say hello, JJ started talking.

“He has Hotch. We're on lock-down. There's a body in his room and it says I HAVE HOTCHNER CL. I'll be back soon.” The line went dead. Emily slammed the phone down so hard that she thought it would break.

“He has Hotch” she told Rossi.

“That makes you unit leader. How are we going to catch him?”

“Lock-down. We solve this thing from here. Nobody else goes missing” she said. Rossi nodded approvingly. Emily just hoped she was doing the right thing.