Chapter 1

MELONIE

It was 5:55 which meant 5 more minutes and I was free to go

It was 5:55 which meant 5 more minutes and I was free to go. I grabbed my things heading to the break room to clock out. I was off tomorrow and Sunday which was a day well needed. Working as a nurse here in the hospital is bitter sweet. I love what I do but there's times where I hate it. You see so much crazy shit that it be having you thinking. I've seen mothers lose their children. Ive seen Parents lose their children its crazy. You'll be surprised the type of emergencies that be going on. I've seen it all. On my way to clock out I decided to check on a few patients just to make sure everything was straight.

I walked into room 234 which was this old lady. She was the sweetest lady. She had a stroke a week ago and has been here since. It's so sad because not one of her kids have stopped by to see her.

"Hey Ms.Smith how are you today?" I asked her while walking in to check her monitor

"Lonnie I'm doing just fine. You leaving already?"

"I'm glad and yeah I'm leaving and I won't be back until Monday" I let her know

"What am I going to do here without you. You know I can't stand these other bitches here" She told me

"I know Ms.Smith but you know my number so if they try something just give me a call" I told her giving her a smile

"Best believe I'll use it" She said making me laugh

I walked over to her giving her a hug before saying bye and heading out.

I stopped by a couple other rooms before clocking out.

I headed towards the Maternity ward to see if Taylor was ready to head out.

I walked up to the closed doors pressing the button on the wall so that the double doors would open. Once I was in there was another door where I typed in a code so that I can officially enter the ward.

I walked in closing the doors behind me before making my way towards the reception desk up here seeing Taylor gathering her things.

"Ready" I asked

"Hell yeah I need a drink after today" she said causing me to laugh

We walked out the ward going towards the break room so she can clock out before making our way towards our cars

"So what we doing for your birthday" I asked

"We going out to the club tonight"

I mugged her ass before speaking" And when were you going to tell me"

" I legit just found out. Derrick invited us out he said he wanted to celebrate it at the club"

She's been dating this Derrick guy for a while now and not once have I met him so I was looking forward to it because I think I have the right to know who's dating my best friend. She deserves the world so I gotta make sure this nigga gives it to her