Welcome to Sonic

A/N: I know this chapter is super short and really boring but my creative jucies arent flowing very well. Promise that the next chapter will be much, much better!

_______________________________________________________________________________

I stared at Anson amused as he took a drink of his slushy, his burger in his other hand. He raised his eyebrow at me, curious as to why I was looking at him the way I was. A smile tugged at my lips until I couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“What? Is there something on my face?” He asked me as he put down his drink to grab a napkin and wipe his face, except he missed the spot of mustard that was on his jaw.

Without thinking and using my brain I absentmindedly used my thumb to wipe it away from his jaw. He stayed still as he looked me in the eyes, his swirling. I grabbed my napkin with my other hand and quickly looked away, wiping off the mustard that was on my thumb.

“So,” I said wanting to change the subject. I could feel him stare at my face as I looked down at my own half eaten burger and fries. “Didn’t you have class today?”

 I asked him, remembering that he was attending Stanford. He shook his head.

“Off for a week because some of the pledges from Kappa lit some of the buildings on fire. It was a prank but a professor got trapped in the building and was rushed to the hospital.” Anson explained to me.

“I heard that on the news!” I exclaimed, surprised that I had forgotten. It was on the news constantly and on the radio.

“Yeah. The pranks the older members of the sororities do to their pledges are getting worse. I think I might to a research paper to see why. Like what’s going on in their minds when they make such obscured pranks and what not.”

“Sounds…informative,” I said not knowing how else to describe what Anson was telling me. Anson chuckled.

“I guess so.” He replied with a grin as he took another drink from his slushy. “So how was work?” He asked trying to make small talk.

“Okay, a bit stressful actually.” I replied thinking about my columns I wrote and how they turned out well by the last minute. “Except I had a stalker.” I said chuckling at him, he laughed along with me and was about to reply.

Suddenly however my phone began to vibrate in my pocket and I quickly took it out looking at the caller ID, it was Caleb. I quickly stood, my phone clutched in my hand.

“I got to take this.” I told Anson as I pressed the talk button on my phone and walked away, a far enough distance form Anson that he wouldn’t hear me.

“Hello?” I said into the phone.

“Hey love! What are you doing?” Caleb asked me cheerfully from the other side.

“Um…nothing much, just eating dinner.”

“Oh, where?”

“Sonic.” I replied.

“Sonic?” Caleb asked me shocked.

“Um, yeah. Just wanted something fast, stressful day.” I explained to him.

“Oh by yourself?” He asked curious.

“With a friend.” I said, not wanting to lie.

“Who? Do I know her?”

“Actually no, he’s new.” I said hesitantly, not knowing if I should tell him.

“He?” Caleb asked me, sounding troubled.

“Yes.”

“Well, I’ll leave you two to eat then.” Caleb said angrily.

“Caleb it isn’t like that!” I shouted into the phone before he could hang up, why was he mad? Some people turned to look at me, but I ignored them.

“Then what is it like?” Caleb demanded.

“We’re just friends Caleb; you know I wouldn’t do anything.” I said into the phone, exasperated. Was there no trust? But then again there was something I couldn’t quite place on Anson; he stirred feelings within me that I didn’t know I could feel. At least not since my father’s death.

“Honestly I don’t think I do know you anymore Evony!” He spat into the phone. I looked at my phone completely confused, tears pooling from my eyes. Why was he so mad at me? Why would he tell me that? Did he not trust me?  

“Caleb how can you say that?” I asked him, my voice cracking a bit.

“Just…I’ll call you later.” With those words he hung up.

Not wanting Anson to see me cry, I walked quickly to my car. Glad that I had everything with me, except however for my keys. I groaned. I wiped my tears away but they just kept coming. What did I do? It wasn’t like Caleb to be so mad at me like that. And how could he say he didn’t know me? Yes I was depressed for a while and lost touch with reality but I was still me, still the same Evony that he had fallen in love with. A sob escaped my lips, why was I so weak?

“Evony are you okay?” Anson called after me, jogging up to me. My keys dangling from his hand. Seeing my face he pulled me into a hug, but I felt awkward in his arms, I felt guilty. I pulled away from him.

“I have to go.” I told him reaching for my keys put he pulled them out of my grasps.

“Tell me what happened first.” Anson demanded as he looked at me with concern and worry.

I shook my head.

“Please Anson just let me go.” I begged, needing to get out of here, needing Sarah to comfort me. However tears continued to fall down my face.

“Not in this state you are.” Anson told me. “Let me drive you home.”

I shook my head.

“I’m fine really, just please give me my keys Anson.” My tears clouding my vision. Damn these tears and my inability to lie.

“You’re lying Evony, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that.” Anson said.

Just then my phone started ringing and I saw through my tears that it was Sarah. I quickly answered the phone.

“What’s wrong?” She asked me, not even surprising me that she knew I was hurt. She always knew and it always made me wonder if she truly did have a sixth sense.

“I can’t talk about it right now.” I told her, glancing up at Anson.

As if sensing someone was near me, as if she was standing by my side and also seeing Anson right in front me, she replied.

“You’re with Anson aren’t you?” She asked, sounding stressed.

I nodded my head knowing she couldn’t see me but also knowing that she knew me enough that she knew what I was doing.

“Come to my house Evy.” Sarah said comforting me.

“He won’t give me my keys.” I half laugh half cried.

“Give him your phone.” She demanded and I did as she demanded.

Anson took the phone and brought it to his ear, giving me a questioning look.

“Yeah, I know… She shouldn’t drive in her state though…yeah…okay…see you.” Anson said and passed me back my phone.

“Evy, he’s going to bring you to my house so don’t argue, alright?” Sarah informed me.

I sighed, which she took as a yes.

“See you when you get here.” She replied and hung up.

            I stuffed my phone in my pocket and wiped away the remaining tears holding the rest of them in. Grudgingly I let Anson lead me to the passenger side of my car and help me in. He then closed my door for me and went to the driver’s side, putting the key in the ignition.

“So, are you going to tell me what happened?” Anson asked me as my car roared to life and we pulled out of the parking lot. His own car still nestled in a parking stall.