I wanna know you

Not a very long chapter and im sorry for that but im glad that i finally updated and hope you are too!! whoop whoop hope you like it. again im sorry its short!

___________________________________________________________

We continued to talk about ourselves and I found out he was studying psychology. I was fascinated as he talked about the human mind and how he’s learning to understand people more thoroughly.

“That’s amazing.” I exclaimed and I truly was.

“So…” He began to say, keeping his eyes focused on the road. “Are you attending college?”

It was a simple question, but it was an uncomfortable topic for me. I wanted to become a doctor. I had gotten a full tuition scholarship from Harvard and then I was going to go to Yale medical school, but that went all downhill. I don’t exactly even know what happened. I guess what it really came down to was Caleb. I didn’t want to leave him and he begged me not to. After he proposed me, I couldn’t abandon him. So I did what I thought was right, I gave up all my dreams, all my goals, for him. I don’t regret it, but sometimes I wish that I could’ve done something that would’ve made both Caleb and I happy.

“No.” I said softly.

“Why not?” Anson asked, pushing me to further explain.

“I had the chance to go to Harvard.”

“Harvard?” He asked surprised.

“Yeah. I had gotten a full tuition scholarship to attend.”

“So what happened?” Anson said clearly not seeing that I didn’t want to talk about it. Or maybe he was trying to get me to open up and express myself so that I wouldn’t affect my mental state. Of course he would know that, considering he wanted to be a psychologist.

“I turned the offer down and decided to stay with Caleb.” I simply said.

“Why would you do that?” He asked. I looked at him and saw his eyebrows turn downwards.

“Because I love him.”

“Yes, but if he loved you he would’ve looked out for your best interests and pushed you to not give up.”

“He did love me, that’s why he wanted me to stay. He begged me to not leave him.” I told him truthfully.

“Then he was selfish.” He stated.

I looked at him with wide eyes, surprised at his comment. Caleb wasn’t selfish; he just loved me too much to let me go. I was also responsible; I did make the choice to give up on my dreams. Anson looked at me for a few silent moments, but then looked back at the road and the traffic in front of us.

“He’s not.” I replied defending Caleb. I heard him sigh heavily.

“It is a fact that when someone chooses their desires and ignore those of others, that someone would be labeled as selfish. Check the dictionary I do believe that is its exact definition also.”

“So you’re telling me that Caleb shouldn’t have asked me to stay with him?”

“I’m not exactly saying that. I’m just saying that he shouldn’t have made you feel bad about leaving him and pressuring you to stay with him. If he truly loved you he would’ve been there for you not against you and your wishes.  Haven’t you ever heard that quote by Kahlil Gibran? When you love someone, let them go, for if they return, they were always yours. And if they don’t they never were.”

I shook my head, I don’t recall having ever heard that saying.

“It’s beautiful.” I said and I meant it. That quote was inspirational.

“I know it’s one of my favorites, but it’s completely true. And you were changing the subject.” He accused me. I didn’t deny because I honestly was. “I’ll let it go for tonight and will stop being your therapist for the moment.” He said jokingly but meant it.

            “Thanks.” I told him.

            Just then we pulled into a parking lot under a building. I had no clue where we were. We parked the car, got a ticket, and headed out into the open. I stopped in my tracks when I realized where we were. We were at the pier. Anson started to jay walk in front of the traffic and I quickly caught up with him. It was crowded and loud, but the sounds began to fade as he led me towards a boat. I raised an eyebrow at him when we stopped.

            “Just wait and see.” He said with a smile.

            I looked at the boat in front of me and found that it was actually a yacht. The only person in it was the captain. Anson helped me onto the small bridge and led me across onto the deck of the boat. The captain then went back to the wheel and started the engine.

            “Where are we going? A dinner on the water?” I asked Anson, dying to know what he planned.

            “Nope something even better.” He replied. “You’ll be surprised.”

            I couldn’t help but think what else was there to do that involved a boat? I mean if not a dinner date type of thing, then what? We couldn’t go swimming. It was dark, the water was cold, and it had sharks in it, or at least that’s what I’ve been told by many. I really was becoming more apprehensive about this date with Anson.