Chapter 14

I stumbled back and stared at her in shock. “Emma…you shouldn’t…just…Ugh! Don’t say that! How do you know this?” She had caught me in a moment of panic. It wasn’t all that long ago when I realized this fact for myself. But for her to know it this quickly had me like a deer caught in headlights.  She sighed. “I know because you’re not denying it for one thing. Then there’s the fact that you’re afraid.” I laughed at her. “Afraid Emma? Why would that possibly make me afraid?” She shrugged.

“I don’t know,” she replied quietly. “But I really wish Blake and you would just accept it. Maybe you’re just afraid of falling for him or something and he’s afraid even of the concept.” She debated. If only she knew how close to the truth she really was.  I snorted. “Emma are you going insane? Just because were mates or whatever doesn’t mean anything’s going to happen. He said so earlier. And I’m pretty sure that’s not his problem. He said he doesn’t care.” I denied easily.

She smirked innocently. “Oh but Jasmine, do you honestly think I wouldn’t be able to tell?” I stared at her blankly. Then I asked, “What?”

“You already have feelings for him.” Once again, I was brought up shocked. How does she KNOW these things?  It took me forever just to come to terms with it myself.  When I did find out what happened between us though, I CRIED! I cried because, she’s right, I’m scared. I’m scared that he’ll reject me  over and over again. The attraction between us can’t be denied. It really can’t. I don’t love him (insert mental snort here) not even close! I have these weird feelings for him that are so small even a microscope couldn’t see them. Right? Right.

“Emma, I don’t want you to say a word about this to ANYONE, do you understand?” I finally said seriously. She smiled in victory. I could tell she was happy that I didn’t deny it.  “I won’t! Can you promise me something though?” she asked excitedly. “What?” I said with a sigh. “Promise you won’t let him get away without a fight.” I choked. What the hell was that supposed to mean? I’ve underestimated her big time! “What?!” I cried.

“Promise you’ll try to catch his heart.” I shook my head furiously. “Emma you know I can’t promise you that!”

She raised an eyebrow. “Why not?” she muttered. I smiled sadly and looked her straight in the eyes. “Blake’s heart is made of stone Emma. He can’t love anyone.” She smiled back but it wasn’t sad. “Then at least promise you’ll TRY. If anyone can do it, it’s definitely you!”

I glared at her and she stared back at me sweetly. Finally, submitting, I gave her what she wanted. “Fine. I promise to try.” She grinned and threw her arms around me.  I hugged her back stiffly.

“Emma, Blake said to get back to work now.” A timid voice said from my doorway. I pulled away and turned around. A young girl with light brown hair and green eyes stood there. I smiled slightly at her. She smiled back and then looked at Emma. “Awee! Can’t he at least give me 10 more minutes?” Emma whined. The girl laughed. “He said now and I can tell he’s not in a good mood.” Emma’s shoulder’s slumped and she sighed. “Fine…” She sauntered out of the room and the other girl started to go after her. “Hey what’s your name?” I asked nicely. She looked at me in surprise. “Um...It’s Dayna.” She said.

“I’m Jasmine.” She smiled widely. “Oh I know! Everyone knows who you are.” This time I wasn’t hit with the element of surprise. I laughed softly. “Well I have to go. I really don’t want to get in trouble today. He’s really upset.” She said quickly, then she was gone.