chapter eight

summer's chapter

chapter eight

What I loved most about the sea was that it opened you with welcome arms. It didn't care who you were. It would rush to the sand to meet you, tickle your toes with the waves, and drag you into the tide in a hug. The movement only took seconds, and often that was all I needed.

I let the water caress me as I dove into the water. It ran up and down my arms, only making me feel more alive as I swam deeper and deeper. I'd been in these waters since I was a little girl. This was home.

I swam back up to the surface with a smile on my face and taking in a breath of fresh air. "How long was that?"

"A little over ten minutes." Skylar smiled, looking at his watch.

"New record!" I laughed as Kaylee shook her head. She sat on her surfboard with her hair damp and sun kissed skin.

"You belong to the ocean. You're not human." Kaylee gave me a small smile.

I took a mouthful of water and spewed it out from my mouth as if I was a fountain. My brother just laughed as Kaylee rolled her eyes.

"Welcome to my world." I winked as I rested my chin and arms on my surfboard, letting my body dangle in the water.

"Hey, what's up with Josh?" Skylar asked after looking at his girlfriend McKenna who was out up ahead. I admired the fact that she could surf, but other than that, I wasn't so keen on her. I wish the girl out on the water could be the same girl I talked to. I was wishing for a miracle almost.

I frowned a little at the mention of my best friend or was he a potential for a boyfriend now? Kaylee kept her mouth shut, surprising me, so my brother's eyes were on me.

"It's nothing. He's been like this all day." I muttered.

"You sure?"

"Let's just have a good time, okay? Maybe I'll tell you later. This is girl stuff." I cracked a smile.

"Hey, McKenna's good at this stuff. Might wanna talk to her." Skylar shrugged.

Kaylee and I took one look at each other before bursting out into laughter.

"Yeah right!" We chorused.

"Cut her some slack, all right?" Skylar looked between the both of us. "I'd say she's pretty smart."

"Is it because she chose you out of all the other boys?" Kaylee said, in a flat tone. Her eyebrows were raised and her expression was priceless.

"Smart girl." Skylar shot my best friend a playful wink before lying flat on his surfboard and swimming out to McKenna. He didn't hesitate to splash me before he was completely gone.

"You guys need to talk." Kaylee said, giving me a look.

"Don't nag me." I said, straddling my surfboard now.

"So what are you going to do then?"

"I don't know."

"Well, you can friend zone him - "

"Ouch." I muttered as Kaylee and I both started to laugh. "What else could I do?"

"Maybe kiss him back and share that pizza together."

"But, Josh is like a brother to me. I mean, when we were little we joked about getting married and stuff, but I was like six."

"Hey, it's your call. Follow your heart."

I looked at Kaylee who spoke in all seriousness.

"Follow your heart? Really?" I said with a laugh.

Kaylee threw her hands up in protest only making me laugh more.

"What am I supposed to say?!"

"Something not so cliche!"

Kaylee paused, waiting for the right words. "Okay. Do not hesitate to wander where your most vital organ - "

I pushed her off her surfboard before she could finish and she screamed on the way down. My stomach hurt from laughing as I waited for her to come back to the surface. I looked behind me, seeing McKenna and Skylar admiring the sunset. Josh was riding a small wave, heading back to shore with his head down. I wanted to give him a hug, maybe apologize for that awkward run in earlier, order another pizza, and try again.

I started to swim over, but Kaylee flipped my surfboard, and I fell under the water with her.

Maybe it was a sign. Maybe it was a sign that said, "Not yet." Maybe Josh would be there in the future, but not now.