chapter five

five

peyton's chapter

"Can you turn off the music?" Harry stumbled into the hotel's living room, one hand clutching his side. He looked better without being dressed up, at least in my opinion. Niall looked once at me before picking up another donut and shoving it into his mouth.

"Real music isn't on the radio." I started.

They both looked up, surprised and utterly confused.

"Real music isn't something that you can play whenever you feel like it. It's something you experience. Like the sounds of the waves crashing onto the shore, the sound of laughter echoing through your bedroom. It's more than music."

Harry watched me carefully, his lips drawn into a thin line. I didn't expect him to understand, but part of me wished he did. I picked at the crumbs of my donut.

"God, it's too early for this." He got up, grabbed a plate of donuts off of the table, and stumbled back into his bedroom. Niall frowned, but didn't say a word. I guess that's when I first realized fixing them was going to be a whole lot harder than I thought- maybe impossible.

"Don't be upset," Niall picked up both of our plates and gently placed them into the sink. He seemed so youthful then, so naive. He put too much faith into someone he barely knew. "He's always like that. They all are."

"Where are the rest of them?"

Niall shrugged, glancing back towards the bedrooms. It was so quiet, quiet enough to hear the clock make it's lovely ticking sounds.

"Well, go get them up. We're going to the beach." I ordered, wiping my sugar coated finger tips.

A half an hour later, the boys were all awake and dressed, all cursing my name and spitting on my feet. Maybe not literally, but most definitely mentally. Eleanor was gone already; she had booked a ten o'clock flight to New York for some shopping trip she just had to go to. That left a total of five boys and one girl.

"I have an extra board at my place," I told them, tossing my stuff onto the soft sand. "I'm going to teach you how to surf."

Niall looked at me, hesitant at first, and smiled.

"Zayn can't swim," Harry pointed out, his arms crossed over his inked chest. Zayn frowned.

"Today's a perfect day to learn. I'll be right back, my house is like," I paused, counting the number of houses between where we were. "Only three or four houses down. Stay here, okay." They just looked straight ahead, peering into the obscured screen of their tiny smart phones. Niall got up and jogged after me. "No," I told him, putting one hand on his shoulder. He seemed to understand and walked back to the others.

My house was small, and the back porch extended out onto the beach. There were sea glass mosaics on one wall, and old, rusted signs on the other. Beneath the porch was a small room where Skylar, my dad, and I kept our boards. There were some half used sticks of wax in the corner of the room, and unused sunscreen bottles decorating the wooden floor. I grabbed two boards, tucking one under each arm, and climbed out of the tiny cellar.

"That's my board,"

I jumped, spinning around to face Skylar and Josh. Skylar reached out for it, but I turned away. He frowned and propped his arms onto his hips. "I don't know what you're doin' with it, but don't mess it up. Or you'll be paying for a new one."

I nodded, knowing I didn't have enough money to buy another board like his. He was sponsored, so he could get them for free. Money wasn't what he was really worried about, though- his board was special. Part of it was what he was known for.

"Just take mine." Joshua took his off the wall and traded with me. His was a little longer than Skylar's, so it would be easier to learn on. "The waves are nice today. Just out past the pier is the best part." He slipped his hands behind his neck and ruffled his hair. I shot him an easy grin.

"If you see Kay, tell her I'm east of the fishing boats."

They both nodded, and watched as I turned away. I pushed past the house's gate, and ran down the boardwalk- all of the way back to the boys. I set down both boards and grabbed Zayn's arm. "C'mon," I told him. "We're going in." He hesitantly stood up, stripped off his shirt, and followed me into the water.

"Can't we learn in a pool, or something?" He muttered. "There's fish and jellyfish, and-" I cut him off with a small smile.

"The waters warm. You see those fishing boats out there," I pointed my hand out to the east, just past where the waves were building. "That's where all of the big fish are. They want fish, not humans. The chances of them even coming near you are one in a billion." Zayn nodded, but I knew I hadn't mollified his nerves at all. "Look," I told him, wading out to where the water lapped around my waist. "I'm out here every day and I've never been bothered by anything. You'll be fine."

He came out to where I was, his hands balled into tight fists. I placed one hand on his shoulder and sat down next to him in the sea. The water rolled over our necks and shoulders, washing our skin with salt. My silver cross pendent flopped against my chest with the current, sparkling underneath the waves. He was becoming less anxious, and his shoulders had dropped. I pushed myself up and walked behind him.

"Lean back." His back dropped into my palms, his hair dipping into the water. "See it's not that bad is it?"

"I'm not swimming," He said, mumbling above the crashing waves. His eyes were clenched shut. I moved to move his feet up into the air and held my hands under his back. He was floating just above my hands.

"Move your arms and legs a little." He did as I told him to, flipping onto his stomach. He was moving slightly, swimming through the current. He sunk down for a minute, spurting salty water out of his lips. Sea water ran over his cheeks like tears, but he still smiled. He reached one hand out towards me, steadying himself on his two feet.

"Izzy," He looked up, regaining his posture and composure before turning back towards me. Josh and Kaylee waded out into the water, their boards tucked underneath their arms. Zayn looked panicked, as if he didn't want the world to know he couldn't swim- as if he was ashamed for the first time in his life. I looked at him, silently promising to keep his secret. "What do ya say we help you get these boys on some waves?" I smiled at Joshua.

☼☼☼☼☼☼

"How do you get all the sand out of your hair?" Harry stood in the hall of their hotel suite, shaking his head mercilessly. No sand came out, though. The product of an entire day at the beach took a lot more than man power to wash away. He had a tan too- bits of light brown creeping up his cheeks and across his shoulders. "Louis, mate," He tipped his head back, catching my lingering stare. I looked away, tying my hair into a knot on top of my head. "Hurry up in the shower."

"Are you staying over tonight? You and your friends?" Niall strung himself across the couch, tossing his legs across my lap. I wanted to laugh, but I was too tired. Niall's cheeks were flushed; It seemed the sun did some damage on him as well.

"I don't think so, not tonight. Skylar would kill me," I smiled, leaning back.

"Hey, Izzy, we're heading back." Kaylee and Joshua come in, towels draped over their shoulders. Joshua was fond of Niall- they became friends so fast. It seemed Niall was the only one of the boys he actually allowed me to be around, though Kaylee and I had both found ways around his resolution. "You coming?"

I glanced over at Niall. His eyes flashed with confidence, with hope. They seemed to believe that one day had already made a difference in his brothers. I hugged him, gently wrapping my arms around his neck.

"I'll see you tomorrow, alright?"

He nodded, a smile spreading across his face.

"Be safe on your way home. The streets are pretty crowded." We both knew he was talking about the fans- the loud, ecstatic screams traveling into town. "Try not to trip or break any arms. I need you the rest of the summer."

I laughed, pausing at the door frame. Liam brushed past me with his phone in one hand and a glass of red wine in the other.

"You're here for the entire summer?"

I nodded.

"I'm all yours then, Isabelle Hall."