chapter three

:)))

******

peyton's chapter

three.

If it weren't for the bonfire's light, everything would've been engulfed in a deep darkness. It's beautiful out, it really was, but it seems I'm the only one who took the time to admire the fire's reflection on the salty waves. Everyone else was consumed by the party.

Kaylee brushed past me with Eric's arm draped around her hip and a red cup in one hand. I wasn't going to judge the two of them; I had done plenty of stupid things myself. The alcohol had only begun to take its affect on me, but I wasn't drunk. I could still stand, dance, sing, and speak. I was only a little buzzed.

"Izzy?" I spun around, nearly losing my balance on the way around. He stood there, though, with his arms extended and body held steady. I flushed, immediatly remembering him, remembering our conversation and giving him my number. "This is what, the second time I've kept you from falling?"

"Thanks for reminding me," I muttered, linking one arm with his. He was cool, the way he composed himself.

"So did you guys throw this party?" He laughed, a lovely, raspy laugh, and led me closer to the fire with one hand held against the small of my back. He looked different than he had at the concert; he wasn't dressed for a small, summer time concert. He wore an expensive, black jacket with intricate designs decorating the sleeves. I could feel his small, silver rings held against my skin. I could feel their lovely patterns pressed into my skin.

"Nah, it's just a small get together planned for the bands."

His words were stuck on replay in my mind; this was definetly not a small get together, not by any standard. He was like Gatsby, so oblivious of the abundant glamour and beauty in his life. He was stuck on one thing, fame.

"What? Why are you looking at me like that?" I shook my head, shrugging my arm away from him.

"You know," I told him, walking by his side. "I remember the first time I heard about you guys. It was, what? A year ago? Kaylee showed me some videos of you guys. Y'all were funny."

He frowned, mimicking my tensed posture. We walked side by side towards the fire, not saying another word.

"We were young." He finally said. I hated the way he restrained himself- any blind person could see he did. He looked so much older, so much less attractive than he had. "Young, crazy, and stupid. Come one, I want you to meet the other boys. Tommo!" He waved one hand over at the tall, brown haired boy sitting against an arched palm. There was a girl with him- tall, young, and pretty. "I want you to meet someone. Where's Styles?"

"I'm 'ere." I looked up, pulling down at the hem of my skirt. The way he looked at me, the green eyed boy, made me feel so vulnerable, exposed even. I glanced once behind me, searching for Joshua among the crowd of groupies and rockstars. I couldn't find him, see him anywhere. "Who's this?" I looked back towards him, fighting the urge to cower away; he was too stunning, too perfect to be real.

"Isabelle," Zayn said, a smug grin played accross his lips. "She won me your watch." The other boy grinned, walking away from the other couple to his left. He held out one hand to me, his long fingers stacked with thick, silver bands.

"I'm Harry," He said, his voice disguised in a heavy British accent. "I'd like you better if I still had my watch on this hand."

"Harry," the other brown hair boy warned. His eyes briefly flickered with amusement. "Play nice. I'm Louis, and this is Eleanor." The pretty girl beside him smiled, both of her hands clasped in front of her chest. "You live here, eh?" I nodded once. I couldn't trust myself to speak just yet.

"She's a local," Zayn spoke for me. "You can tell by her tan. She's a pretty thing, yeah?"

"I'm jealous of your tan. You're all so tan here, so glowing." It was the girl, the pretty one with loose brown curls. I smiled, fighting the urge to cry or scream. There was something special about being called beautiful, glowing, by celebrities."I wouldn't mind spending the summer here," she told Louis.

"It's a big party," I finally said, fiddling with my bangles. I had never been surrounded by such beautiful people. "Not quite as big as the ones you're used to, but they're different. Here, everyone knows everyone."

Eleanor frowned and wrapped one arm around Louis.

"That sounds so nice, doesn't it Lou? A nice vacation?" Louis shook his head, obviously disregarding our town as a vacation of any type. It's funny almost, how two people could have two very different ideas. Her hands fell to her side, her affection for him gone. He looked over at me with a wary expression, as if I had somehow caused their disagreement. I didn't, though, and I wouldn't except the blame. Without saying another word, I turned around and left.

"Hey, Izzy!" Joshua caught me by the arm, pulling me into his chest. I smiled, finally feeling at ease. As kind as the others were, I felt out of place. They all seemed so eloquent and rehearsed, the type of people who belonged in gourmet restaurants and live ballets. "I've been looking for you all night." He smiled, reaching down to swipe a strand of hair out of my face.

"Yeah?" I asked, leaning into him.

"Yeah," he agreed. "I met this guy. He says he wants to meet you. Let's just talk to him, then head back to your place." I nodded, perfectly happy to be going home. My feet ached from the heels Kaylee had dressed me up in, and my head was pounding. The curly, brown haired boy had intoxicated me.

We walked side by side to the parking lot, his arm wrapped around my shoulders to keep me warm. I liked the way it felt. Maybe it was just the alcohol speaking, but I liked him. Not an intense adoration. Not love. No, it was more of a "Hey, I like being around this guy" feeling. He squeezed my arm once, waking me from my thoughts.

"Joshua, hey man."

I looked up from the ground, my eyes meeting those of another boy.

"This Izzy?"

Joshua nodded, giving him a small salute with his fingers before turning to leave.

"Josh?"

He turned around, looking at me with utter confusion in his eyes.

"Your just gonna leave me?" I suddenly found myself liking him less.

"I'm waiting for you. Don't flip."

"I'm Niall," the other boy told me, reaching out for my arm. "And I need your help."