twenty eight

Chapter Twenty-Eight;

Life in the Room of Requirement wasn't actually too bad.

Draco had offered to get the Order to find her a safe place like they had for her parents (she had been so relieved to hear that information), but Seohyun liked it in the Room. She was close to the source of the action, and could help out behind the scenes. Her friends were here, and she could still be useful. The idea of sitting in a safe house did not appeal to her at all. She'd be far too restless.

Seohyun could ask the Room for anything, and it would come to her. The possibilities were almost endless: new paints, canvas, books, a model of the solar system so she could gaze upon some illusion of the stars, and toiletries she needed. She couldn't summon food and water, but a passage had opened to the bar of the Hog's Head. Aberforth's food actually wasn't too bad.

She still received homework, too. Whenever her friends made time to visit her, she requested they bring the homework and coursework of the day with them. Working kept her occupied, as well as ensuring her mind remained sharp.

"You must be the only person not in school to still worry about homework," Draco told her one day, as she read up on what Padma brought her on Ancient Runes.

Seohyun shrugged. "Even if there's a war going on, I don't want to become complacent. I still want to pass and get a job in the future – if You-Know-Who is defeated."

Seohyun hadn't stopped fighting. She slipped out at night and assisted her friends however she could: she found people on missions and helped them carry it out, or if she found someone in trouble, she freed them. Now she no longer had any chains shackling her back, she was free. She could do what she wanted, and be who she truly was.

That was, until her friends started joining her.

First it was Neville, on the run from the Carrows after the Death Eaters failed to capture his grandmother. Soon everyone else filed in: her friends from Ravenclaw, Seamus Finnigan, Susan Bones, Hannah Abbott... the Room grew bigger to accommodate them. Spirits increased, despite the fact they were on the run from the Carrows. They were together, able to talk freely, and Seohyun loved having her friends around.

What she loved most was when Neville gave her a hug and said, "You've really been brave, Seohyun. Padma told us everything." Others came and told her they understood as well, which bolstered her spirits.

People from all Houses were there, apart from Slytherin. Though that didn't stop Draco appearing occasionally to see her.

After hearing what he'd done for her, people became slightly more lenient towards Draco. Though they were more understanding they still avoided him, but allowed Seohyun and Draco their time together. No one seemed surprised when Seohyun revealed they were together.

Time passed. A radio was conjured, keeping them up to date with events of the outside world. They talked, they waited. What they were waiting for, Seohyun didn't know.

Until the time when Harry Potter arrived, and the world changed forever.

+++

The castle was in chaos.

When Harry Potter arrived, war followed. Death Eaters were amassed outside, and now, the entire castle was preparing for battle.

Seohyun had received her assignment. She would be in the castle corridors, fighting off those who managed to intrude inside the castle walls. Her team consisted of Padma, Anthony, and Terry, as well as Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas.

She honestly couldn't think of a better team to fight with.

Draco had lingered behind, apparently confused. Seohyun cornered him before she went off with her friends.

"What are you going to do?" she demanded, arms folded.

Draco looked away. "I don't know."

Seohyun gnashed her teeth together. She placed both her hands on his shoulders and pushed him back into the wall, glaring at him something fierce.

"This is your chance to decide your future, Draco." She jabbed him in the chest. "Do you want to stay with the Death Eaters? Or do you want a new future? Think about it. I'll see you at the end of the battle."

With that, Seohyun dashed off with Padma and the others.

They didn't have long to wait before they faced action. Windows shattered, and Death Eaters poured through the castle doors, yelling and jinxing everything and everyone in sight.

Seohyun glanced at the others, who nodded and raised their wands.

Ready. We're ready.

When Death Eaters found them, they didn't hold back. With battle cries and fire surging through their veins, Seohyun and the others charged.

The first Death Eater she faced scowled at her. "Traitor!" she screeched. "You will pay for turning your back on the Dark Lord."

Seohyun smirked. "I was never on your side."

With that, she screamed, "Stupefy!" and before the Death Eater could do any more than cry out, he toppled backwards and cluttered down the staircase.

Empowered with the knowledge she was her own authority and she was forging her own path, Seohyun dove into the battle with more spirit and power than ever before. She was unstoppable. Curses fired from her wand rapidly. She was sweating, her hair loose, dirt coating every inch of her skin. It scared Seohyun how much she revelled in her success, but she was making her choice, her allegiance, her very own self known to the world.

And she loved that.

There was a brief lull in the battle. Seohyun stood, panting, surrounded by her friends. Seohyun kneeled beside Anthony, who was wounded. "How are you?" she asked, inspected his arm. A large burn ran down the length of his left arm.

Anthony grunted, his face contorted into a grimace. "I'll live," he gasped.

Seohyun wracked her brains. "There must be a spell -"

"Seohyun!"

Anthony's exclamation startled her. She turned around to see a new wave of Death Eaters approach. Seohyun paled. There was so many of them.

She lunged for her wand, which she had put down. She overstretched, and the wand skitted from her grasp. Seohyun gasped and gazed wide-eyed at the Death Eaters, some fighting Padma, Terry, Seamus, and Dean, while the others smiled cruelly at her. One raised his wand toward her.

"Stupefy!"

A new voice came out of nowhere, and the Death Eater closest to her collapsed. Seohyun's head snapped toward the new voice, and she just about cried.

Draco stood in front of her, firing spell after spell at the stunned Death Eaters.

Seohyun grinned, took one glance back at Anthony to ensure he was in a relatively protective spot, then got to her feet, grabbed her wand, and stood side by side with the boy she loved.

Together, they fell the Death Eaters in no time. When they finished, they were both panting, lost for breath. Seohyun gazed into Draco's eyes and shook her head, lost for words.

She had never felt happier.

"Draco," she breathed.

There was so much she was trying to say in those words, and he must have understood. His expression softened and he took her face.

"I've chosen my future." He smiled. "You've taught me so much, Seohyun. I'm joining you."

"Draco..."

Seohyun jumped at him and pressed her lips quickly to his, though it was deep and passionate. When she pulled away, despite the horror raining all around them, she couldn't stop smiling. "I'm so proud of you."

When they fought, they were unstoppable.