fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Seohyun knew there was a possibility that, after the previous day, Draco would become withdrawn once again. She doubted he had ever been so open around anyone, and after he had told her his biggest secret, would feel slightly uncomfortable around her and, as a result, distance himself from her.

She was not going to let that happen.

Potions was their last lesson of the day. Sure enough, that entire day, Draco had been avoiding her. Whenever Seohyun made eye contact, he instantly ripped his eyes away, and he pretended not to hear her greetings in the corridors – whenever she neared, he was suddenly engrossed in either a conversation with his friends or a book in his hands.

That was going to change that evening.

When Slughorn told them to pack up (Harry, once again, was top of the class with an impossibly perfect potion), on her way to put excess ingredients away, Seohyun deliberately tripped into Draco's workstation, sending his potion spilling across the floor and his belongings scattered.

"I'm so sorry!" she stammered, dropping to the floor and picking items up to hide the insincere expression on her face.

Draco sighed. "It's okay." When his friends lingered in the doorway, he waved him off. "Go on without me."

Blaise and Theodore Nott frowned, but nonetheless left the classroom. Seohyun and Draco worked to pick up all his fallen belongings in silence, no interaction passing between them whatsoever. They finished just as Slughorn waddled out of the classroom.

Once their professor left, Draco opened his mouth.

"Seohyun, I need to leave, I have -"

He was cut off by the stern look on Seohyun's face as she glared at him, hands on her hips.

"No. That was the last lesson of the day." Seohyun winked and beckoned. "Let's just sit by the lake or something for a bit, away from everyone. I'm sure you'd appreciate that."

She swung her bag over her shoulder and raised an eyebrow. For a moment Draco did not move, and then he sighed and followed suit. Seohyun grinned and they left the classroom, walking side by side.

Even when they left the dungeons and passed other people who gawped at the Ravenclaw girl beside the notorious king of Slytherin, they remained close. Those people ended up quailing before Seohyun's fierce glare and looking to other way.

They're only acting this way because we're from different houses. Not for the first time, Seohyun thought how much nicer an environment Hogwarts would be if not for house separation.

Spring was truly in the air. The chill of winter had long left the breeze, and new flowers were blooming outside. Numerous people were in the open air, enjoying the change in weather. Seohyun could just spot the Hufflepuff Quidditch team training on the pitch as she and Draco meandered to the lake.

Seohyun knew a place by the lake where you could remain almost completely hidden by the numerous bushes that grew there. Like the Room of Requirement, it was a place of secrets as well as tranquillity. The lake's edge stopped only about two metres away. During summer, Seohyun thought how relaxing it would be to dip her toes in the water as she worked.

This was where she took Draco. They sat on the grass, which was still a little damp since it remained mostly in shade. Seohyun had a spare jacket and spread it over the grass, which they sat on.

Seohyun glanced at Draco out of the corner of her eye. He was stiff, sat awkwardly. If she hadn't given him any other chance, she knew he would not be beside her right now.