twenty seven

Chapter Twenty-Seven;

All preparations were in place.

At the end of their Potions call, Seohyun collided into Draco on purpose. He'd dropped his books, as had she. "Watch it!" she'd snapped at him, while picking up both their books.

No one noticed her slip the note into his book.

Draco just glared at her and stormed past.

This was another part of the act Seohyun detested: pretending to hate Draco. Even now she breathed an "I'm sorry," under her breath, guilt squirming in her stomach like worms. 

Even though it was necessary, it didn't feel right after all they'd been through together.

Now Seohyun was in a disused classroom with her Ravenclaw friends. Anthony stood at the door to keep an eye out for Alecto Carrow. She always came by this way to return to her office. If they spoke loud enough, there was no way she wouldn't overhear. She kept her nose buried in all business of Hogwarts, including rooms that could harbour secret meetings.

Seohyun paced up and down, wringing her hands together. Her blood pounded in her ears and she felt ready to pass out.

She wasn't ready. She was scared. Even though she was determined to protect everyone, it didn't stop her nerves from consuming her. To distract herself, she drowned herself in her thoughts – anything that wasn't what she was just about to do.

"Alecto's coming!"

Seohyun jumped ten feet in the air at Anthony's sudden hiss.

She wheeled around as he scurried back inside, leaving the door ajar as they had planned.

Seohyun swallowed. Her heart rate increased drastically, and she could feel her palms begin to sweat.

Padma took Seohyun's hands in her own. "Are you sure about this, Seohyun?" she asked softly.

"I am," Seohyun said firmly. She smiled sadly. "Tell the others. They deserve to know everything."

Padma nodded, a little tearfully.

Terry clapped her on the shoulder. She could feel his hand shake on shoulder. "I hope nothing terrible happens."

"We know that's inevitable."

They exchanged grim looks before gathering into a loose circle, as though sharing information.

"So, the Carrows know about the team going out at six," Seohyun said, her voice loud. Alecto's echoing footsteps outside slowed. It's working. "Alter it so you arrive ten minutes earlier, so you can leave just before they ambush you, I'll keep an eye out -"

"Expelliarmus!"

Seohyun's wand clattered out of her hand.

They all gasped and spun around as though shocked. There, in the doorway, her eyes as wild as a hurricane and her face as red and furious as fire, stood Alecto Carrow, who held her shaking wand arm directly at Seohyun. Her other hand held Seohyun's wand.

"So," she said lowly. Her voice quivered in fury. "Malfoy's little girlfriend is a traitor."

Seohyun took a step back. "No," she choked. She raised her hands. I hope I'm a decent actress. "It wasn't what you thought!"

"Quiet, you filthy traitor! Silencio!"

Seohyun opened her mouth and found she couldn't speak.

"And detention for the rest of you!" Alecto screamed at her Ravenclaw friends, spit flying from her mouth.

Her friends dipped their heads and looked at each other nervously. They knew that this would be a likely outcome, but the prospect of detention with the Carrows was enough to send anyone sprinting away.