three

Chapter Three;

"What subjects are you taking?" Padma asked, as she and Seohyun trudged down to the Great Hall for breakfast the next morning.

Seohyun ticked each subject off her fingers as she listed them. "Defence, Transfiguration, Charms, Herbology, Potions, Ancient Runes, Astronomy. I was considering History of Magic, then I realised that English history would be much different to Korean history, and it would be disadvantageous for me to take it."

"It's a good job you didn't. History of Magic was easily the most boring class in the school – Professor Binns was so dry."

The way Padma blanched as she spoke, as though reliving particularly horrid memories, made Seohyun thank her foresight to not take the subject.

"Good thing I had good sense, then," she laughed as they meandered into the Great Hall. Seohyun closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. She had always loved the smell of food.

"I was surprised to learn Occulmency wasn't part of any courses, though," she commented.

Padma's eyes widened. "You learned Occulmency?"

"Yeah. Our headmistress believed it was beneficial to learn how to keep our thoughts private from others so they couldn't be exploited – she considered it a form of self-defence."

The lessons had been among Seohyun's favourites – especially after the introductory lesson in fourth year, when her headmistress, who took the class personally, described the benefits and necessity of being able to defend one's mind. The speech had stuck with Seohyun ever since, and was part of the reason why she was so baffled Hogwarts didn't offer what she considered to be such an imperative course.

"That would be handy to know," Padma mused.

They came to a stop at the Ravenclaw table, where two seats had been left free for them beside three other boys. The two girls slipped into the available seats. Seohyun swallowed as the eyes of several unfamiliar people zoned in on her at once.

"These are the rest of the Ravenclaws – Terry Boot, Michael Corner, and Anthony Goldstein," Padma introduced cheerily, pointing out each boy in turn. "Terry's the only one who takes Astronomy, while you share Ancient Runes with myself and Anthony."

"Nice to meet you, Seohyun," the boy, Terry Boot, said. He offered his hand.

Seohyun smiled. "You as well," she said quietly, taking in Terry's mop of light brown hair and blue eyes. He seemed nice enough – the other two as well, she thought, though Michael looked a bit more withdrawn than the others.

Breakfast passed pleasantly. Seohyun was quiet for most of it, though not for being excluded. The others included her in their conversations and asked her ample questions, but she preferred to observe new situations – a habit she'd developed with her artist's eye. When she wasn't talking to the other Ravenclaws her eyes scanned the Great Hall as she nibbled on unfamiliar food, taking in each of the laughing students.

Again, the House separation stood out for her more than anything. Seohyun bit her lip, decidedly uncomfortable with the arrangement. She dearly missed Areum Academy at that moment, where everyone sat in one large group. Hogwarts seemed so much lonelier in that regard.

When breakfast finished, a tiny professor Padma pointed out to be Professor Flitwick came around, handing out new timetables to all of the Ravenclaw.

"Ah, Miss Park!" he squeaked, once appearing by Seohyun's side. "Welcome to Hogwarts, and to Ravenclaw! I must say I was delighted to hear about your Sorting from Professor McGonagall."