Chapter 3

Nicki

I woke up on the floor with a bottle of Whiskey clenched in my hand. It was half- empty. I sat up and groaned. My head pounded. I could barely remember anything from last night, except that SB had left and I was here alone. Again. I was kinda used to having this place to myself now. I slowly stood up and placed the Whiskey on the counter.

Ugh, I needed a bath or a shower or something. I smelled like a bar. I went into the bathroom and ran the water for a hot bath. I needed to relax a little. Lately I've been under so much stress it wasn't even funny. I got out some bubble soap from Bath and Body Works. I was running low. I needed to go back and get some more. I poured a little bit in, and foam started to form on the water's surface almost instantly.

I stripped off my pajamas and jumped into the tub. I sighed as the warm water surrounded my body. This is what I needed. Just a nice, relaxing bath, to escape from the world for a while. To escape from SB and the pounding headache I was suffering from.

I soaked in the water for a good ten minutes before I actually started bathing myself. I washed my face first then the rest of my body. I washed off and then got out.

I decided that I was going to go out today. I dried off, slipped on some skinny jeans from Hollister and a black shirt that said "Ratchet". It was one of my favorite tops. I put on some black Vans to go with my outfit and, as a final touch, clipped in some black hoop earrings.

I did my hair and makeup and looked myself over in the mirror. I sighed in satisfaction. I looked pretty good.

I grabbed my purse and my keys to my cherry red Mercedes and walked out the door. SB bought the car for me shortly after we got together. He used to have some real good money, but then he started blowing it on weed and beer and exotic wines.

I climbed in the driver's seat and started up the car. I had no idea where I was going, but I was going somewhere.

. . .

I ended up going to the mall. Maybe I could look around for a job here. I especially wanted to see if Hollister or Abercrombie or Forever 21 was hiring, because those were my three favorite clothing brands. Apparently, if you're an employee, you get discounts on the clothes there. Before I got started though, I texted Drake.

Me - Hey Drake, I'm at the mall and I'm gonna look around for a new job. When you're done with all of your classes for the day, come down here and you can help me out.

He probably wouldn't text me back for a while, though. Like he said, he had finals today, and he didn't like being disturbed during any tests he had to take. He really took college seriously, and I admired him for that. That's one characteristic I didn't have. I wasn't really committed to what I was working towards.

I decided to go to Abercrombie first, since it was the closest. I walked in and made my way to the checkout area. Oh God, the line was long today. Hopefully they checked people out fast.

Twenty minutes later, I was finally next in line. The girl at the cashier was swiping a brunette's card and handing her all the clothes she had picked out.

"Next!" the lady called.

I smiled and asked her for a job application,  but she turned me down.

"I'm sorry miss, but we don't have any more spots to fill here. We have more employees than we need."

I looked down at the floor and pressed my lips together. Dammit, I thought. I looked back up at the lady and forced a fake smile.

"Oh, ok. Thank you," I said through cleneched teeth and she nodded.