14 - Maria

PLEASE hit the orange button that sais "VOTE" on it!!!!! hoping for 5 votes before the next chapter.

IMPORTANT

all pronunciations are in the book 'a giude to the dead worlds & languages' i have updated it with each chapter.

if you have any questions ask and i will answer in the book mentioned above. link on side ->->->

____________________________________________________________________________

Keria was half way to the top of the great tree and she stopped, looking for something. she was looking for a nob on the tree. she found it and whispered the words the great tree had told her too. the tree began to creak and groan as a small entrance appeared in his side. it was slanted diagonaly and just a simple hole in the bark, but it was enough that Keria slipped through into the heart of the tree.

it was much like an empty chamber, the floor flat and the walls curved into a dome, no points or edges, even the floor curved up and joined into walls. Keria sat in the center if the floor, where the rings of the tree were smallest. Keria had once counted the rings because they would tell you how old a tree was and she was astonished to find three-hundred-two-thousand-six-hundred-fifty-nine (A/N: 302,659) rings. and that was not across the whole room, but just across the half. almost sixty-five rings per hand length (A/N: 2 hand lenths is 13 inches, ergo, 10 rings per inch,  120 rings per foot. they are not Keria's hands, hers are abot half a hand length) and four-thousand-six-hundred-fifty-six (A/N: 4656) hand lengths across just half of the room (A/N: 9312 hand lengths across the entire chamber,  5044 feet across), and was wider at the base of the tree. it would take two hours for Keria  to walk around the tree (A/N: just over 3 miles).

Keria sighed as she thought of how huge the chamber was, the very top of the dome reaching up at half the floors lengths. the the old tree began to creak and the entrance closed, leaving Keria in complete darkness. she sat for a moment, holding her breath, staying still, and waited. Keria was bathed in a dim light and she looked up at the roof. there were little specks of pure white light, like the stars in the night sky. from the top of the chamber and going down they slowly appeared until the floor was covered. the star lights moved slowly the way they did in the night sky, slow, patient, peaceful. Keria stood and stepped back, knowing what would happen next.

as the stars moved the wood began to gently hum. it was a loving, melodic tune, so gentle it made Keria want to cry. the center on the floor where Keria had been sitting moments before began to emanate a light, at first dim but steadily growing. the light became more powerful and the humming grew louder. all of a sudden the humming stopped and the light left, leaving Keria in absolute darkness. everything was still for a moment.

the light burst from the smallest ring in the center, so fast and bright that it blinded Keria and her hair went flying out behind her by the sudden gust of wind before it settled and the light dimmed, the stars returned, but they were not on the wall, they were floating in the air, hovering everywhere, slowly rotating around Késair's heart, his soul. Keria was amazed with the beauty of it, amazed that such a thing could exist and that she could see it. 'If there is a God, I hope he is a tree.' she had once said to Késair. he had chuckled and said that he hoped that was true as well.

"Riveress. how is your stone?" the light became brighter and dimmer at the rise and fall of the words. the voice was old and deep, but also thought of an annoying old man.

Késair's Purjké floated from the center of the lights around the back of her head.

"my head is fine Késair. thank you." she repliedwith grace while watching the stars twist and turn, burning bright. Késair's first lesson to her had been about this. each tree and plant had a Purjké chamber in their center, and for every year they grew they gained another Tygà that centered the tree's Purjké. it was the most beautiful thing, to be able to see the life in the lights. one for every year of life.