2 - Keria's Sister

Keria ran home fearing the dark. She did not know why she feared the dark, perhaps it was just the fear that all children had of the dark, or perhaps it was of the creatures that dwelt within the night air. Keria did not really fear the dark, she decided, she feared that her sister would worry if Keria did not reach home before the dark of night enclosed her. Keria realised that her fears were that of her sisters worries and she laughed out loud at herself, but picked up her pace all the same not wanting her sister to be upset and start crying from fear and worry.

   As Keria ran she clutched the bread tighter not wanting to fall and ruin dinner. She knew that if she dropped the bread her mother would look at her with disappointment and sigh in disapproval. Keria did not care what her mother thought, but she did not want to see her sister sad that there would be no bread for tonight because their mother didn't have time to make a loaf.

   Keria was being so careful of the bread that she dropped the wreath and tried to skid to a halt but ended up tripping and landing on her rear end with an "oomph!"

   Keria scrambled back up and warily walked over to the wreath and picked it up before turning tail and running home. The sun was setting and she was nearly there. Keria was no longer smiling or laughing, but had a determined look on her face, racing the setting sun. She reached the door just as the last flicker of light faded behind the end of the earth. She pulled open the door and was only able to see the roaring fire before Annabeth rushed her sister calling out  "I thought that you wouldn't make it! Are you all right?" Annabeth asked as she held her sister at arms length, looking her up and down, inspecting Keria for damage.

   As Annabeth twirled her, Keria replied to her sister's worried question with a simple and quiet "Yes."

   Annabeth stopped twirling her sister and spotted the wreath. She eyed it with suspicion, wondering if her sister had stolen it from one of the village girls. Keria traced her sister's gaze and put a small smile on her face. he held out the wreath and said in her quiet way "I spent most of the day making this for you. Do you like it?"

   Annabeth looked at her sister for a moment and then smiled widely and took the wreath placing it on her head. Whatever Keria was, she was not a liar. Annabeth strutted around Keria showing of how the wreath looked on her golden hair. Keria looked at her sister and her smile widened. Annabeths hair was long, almost to her waist. Her eyes were a deep, beautiful blue, her cheeks as rosy as could be and her lips were a perfect pink. She looked just like their mother. Keria was glad that Annabeth was the more beautiful child, she did not think that she could handle having everyone look at her when she was out walking with Annabeth. Just by looking at her Keria could tell that she would be the village beauty, with all the boys chasing after her.

   Keria's mother was watching the scene from beside the fireplace and smiling that her younger daughter was smiling. She walked over and gently took the bread from Keria and told Annabeth "You look like a princess sweetheart." and then she went and placed the bread on the table. She turned around and thought of how her daughters were nothing alike in personality or looks. Annabeth was a cherry child who never questioned anything and was content with the way things were while Keria was a child that rarely smiled at anything but her sister, questioned most things and thought everything over, taking the time to analyse it. Keria had raven hair that was longer than Annabeth's, going just past her waist, skin as white as snow and lips as red as blood. But her most interesting feature were her black eyes.Tthey were so black that you couldn't tell the iris from the pupil. The only feminine thing about Keria was her hair, which Annabeth refused to let her cut.

   Keria didn't even wear dresses. Instead she wore a boys breaches and shirt, much to the disdain of the village and the amusement of her mother.

   Annabeth was helping set the table and Keria was still standing in her spot by the door watching her sister's graceful movements when the door opened. Keria spared a glance at the door and then continued to watch her sister. She watched as Annabeth's face lit up and as she ran over to the door yelling "Papa!"

   Orin opened his arms and as Annabeth flew into them he lifted her up and swung her around in a circle he placed her down and glanced over to Keria like he did everyday and then turned his attentions back to Annabeth.

   "You look like royalty Anna. Have you been down by the river?" Orin asked his eldest.

   "No, Keria made it for me." Annabeth replied with a big grin.

   The look of shock was obvious on Orin's face. He had no idea that his youngest child could ever hold that amount of concentration and attention to detail. He turned to Keria and asked "How long did it take you to make this?"

   "All day." Keria answered in her calm, quiet, unsettling way, looking him straight in the eye, unwavering.

 Orin's face turned into a grimace, realising just how much, and how long, his younger daughter could concentrate and he turned back to Annabeth and kissed her cheek. He stood up and walked over to the table, signaling that dinner had begun.

   Annabeth walked over to the table quickly and sat next to her mother. Keria followed and sat next to her sister and as far away from her parents as possible.

   Annabeth's chatter filled the air making the meal less awkward as it always did. She talked about her day and the things she saw, the only time she wasn't talking was when her father asked her a question. Keria was happy to hear about her sister's day and  just to hear her sister's voice talk so happily and animatedly.

   When dinner was over Keria and Annabeth climbed up to the loft where their bed was. Annabeth changed into her nightgown and Keria changed into the clean pair of breaches and shirt that she wore to bed. The girls climbed into bed and talked about their different days.

   Annabeth finally asked "Did you really spend all day making the wreath?"

   Keria replied with one simple, calm, quiet word. "Yes"