Chapter 15

n i a l l

Rather than staying in my shared guest room with a very pissed off Louis, Harry and Zayn welcomed me with open arms into their room. Zayn, being the emotional void of depth that he is, coaxed me to them how I was feeling instead of sitting on the edge of Harry's bed, staring at the blank wall and impatiently waiting for midnight to come.

So eventually I cracked and I told them everything. I told them about Aubrey and I's after school visits to the parlour on the shore and we danced to John Mayer and how we got to know each other. I told them that Aubrey was like no other girl I've ever met and that just drew me closer to her. I told them Aubrey had made me feel a certain way that no one else had ever made me feel and I loved it. I told them that Aubrey had a certain innocence that only made me want to break her hard exterior and find the sweet girl somewhere inside of all that darkness.

"Bro, Louis is going to murder you then bring you back to life just to kill you again," Harry commented once I finished telling them about my first time even hugging Aubrey and how much it excited me.

Zayn sighed, propping himself up on his elbows to look at me. "I think it's cool, man, but you know how Louis is with his sisters...He won't like this at all when he finds out."

"That's why he isn't going to," I said, giving a pointed look to both of them. The two guys looked at each other, exchanging worried expressions before turning to give me their full attention again. "You aren't going to tell him...are you?"

"Well..." Harry started, earning a massive eye roll from me. "Lou is my friend, I can't keep secrets from him. That's not right."

"Then don't tell him secrets! Whenever he asks about it, which he probably won't, just weave your way out of it and don't talk about it. I mean, it's not like I'm screwing his sister, we're just friends."

"Really?" Zayn questioned, arching a dark eyebrow at me. He was suspicious of something, I could just feel it. "After all you just said about her, it kinda sounds like you fancy her, even a little bit."

I found myself tilting my head back and laughing at Zayn's silly comment. "No, no, no. We don't. She still kinda hates all of us, to be honest."

"Then why does she agree to spend time with you?" Zayn challenged.

I shrugged. "She tolerates me, man...But believe me, she doesn't like me and the feelings are mutual."

With that marked the end of our conversation. Minutes later, soft snores were heard from Zayn's side of the room and Harry was close to dozing off himself. The quiet words of an American television show that I didn't know the name of were hardly audible. I waited until I knew for sure that Harry was asleep before unlocking my phone. The bright white numbers read 12:02am; crap, I was late.

I slowly slid off the edge of Harry's bed, trying not to wake him from his peaceful slumber. Of course, just my luck, Harry blinked a few times then looked up at me in the creaking doorway.

"Where ya goin'?" he asked, his tired voice muffled by the navy blue pillow. "I thought you were crashing here for the night."

"Yeah, I am...I'm just going to, uh, use the toilet then get a quick snack," I lied, my voice hardly above a whisper to avoid waking Zayn as well. Harry nodded lazily then layed his head back down on the pillow, instantly re-entering his endless world of dreams.

I sighed in relief, pleased that he actually believed me. Without another moment to waste, I hastily slipped through the small crack between the door and the wall and snuck through the house and out to the back patio.

A smile found it's way onto my face as I looked through the glass doors. Aubrey was standing on the railing in her pajamas, flannel pants tied into a big bow just below her waist and an orange camisole. She turned around as soon as she heard the doors slide open, a similar smile mirroring onto her face.