Chapter 3

Fighting the urge to curse at anyone and everyone in the house, I followed after my dad at a steady pace down the staircase. I can't believe he's doing this to me right now. I can't believe any of this is happening. Louis actually came back; it's been five years and now he's actually back. A part of me truly was anxious to see him but another part of me absolutely hated it.

Louis used to be my best friend, my protecter, my everything. Now he's a stranger, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Any other time, I'd run into him arms and hug him and never let him go. This would be our first real encounter in five years. That's a big moment in my life and I'm not sure if I'm ready.

The beating of my heart increased rapidly as I neared the bottom of the stairs. The only thing that seperated Louis and I was a few more steps and a bolt of confidence. My hands were subconciously trembling by my sides as I descended one step at a time.

My father, who was a few steps ahead of me, landed on the ground level before I could. Suddenly, my body stopped. I just couldn't convince myself to go on any longer. Fear, anger, and everything in between boiled up inside of my body. What the hell am I supposed to do or say to him?

"The guys and I..." he started, referring to the five teenage boys in our living room. "We'll be in there. Come on in when you're ready, take your time."

I gulped. "I - I need water." My dad nodded, examining my face curiously. It took everything in me to wobble down the last few steps and brush into the kitchen. Thankfully I managed to go by unspotted and unheard by the boys.

Dad sent a weak smile at me then rejoined the guys. I took in a shaky breath as their laughter filled the air. Louis' raspy laugh rose above everyone else', sending painful shivers down my spine.

I hid my gray eyes in my hands and rested my elbows on the island. Do I have enough guts to face him again? My stomach tensed as I listened to the muffled voices coming from the room just a few steps away.

"Is she okay?" a deep voice asked. My body clenched because I knew it was Louis. Even though his voice was undeniably deeper, he sounded the same in some way.

"She'll be here in a minute, you can ask her yourself," my dad answered, his voice considerably lower. Maybe he didn't want me to hear them; that failed. Typical. My family loves hiding things from me.

"She's angry with me, isn't she?"

After that, there were no more words being spoken. Their attention was averted back to the football game on the telly and they wen't back to laughing and eating chips as if nothing had ever happened.

That's all my life ever seemed to be; people lying and hiding, then pretending it never happened. No one has ever been so upfront and honest with me; no one except Paige. Did Louis not realize that things changed? I'm no longer a cute, vulnerable, weak twelve-year-old girl. I've grown; I'm tougher.

My throat itched in anxiety. My dad was expecting me to make an appearance any moment now. His words were etched into the back of my mind: You can't hide from your family forever. I turned sharply, deciding to go in after a quick sip of water.

Standing up on my tippy-toes, I stretched up to reach the top cabinet with the glasses. My height has always been an issue. A curse slipped underneath my breath when I realized I wasn't going to reach the glasses.

Suddenly, a rather large hand appeared from over my head and opened the cabinet, grabbing a glass with ease. I froze, startled by the intruder. The person placed the glass down on the counter in front of me, then leaned against the top with their arms crosses.

"You looked like you needed help." He chuckled.

I gripped the glass, squeezing it hard. "I didn't need your help," I muttered. Peeping from the corner of my eye, I saw that the intruder had a cocky grin and a massive head of chocolatey curls. His eyes pierced into the side of my face.